Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Joker (Part I) - The King of Comedy": At Elton Tower, Stan Haymes answers the doorbell. He is suddenly sprayed in the face with gas and quickly abducted from his home. The crime has all of the earmarks of the Joker.
Appearing in "The Joker (Part I) - The King of Comedy"
- Harvey Bullock
- James Gordon
- Jeremiah Arkham
- Sarah Essen Gordon
- Wilde "Wild" Norton (First appearance)
- Joker (Behind the scenes)
- Nuggets (Single appearance)
- Pete (Only appearance; dies)
- Dawes (Single appearance)
- Mrs. Haymes (Single appearance)
- Professor W.M. Venner (Single appearance)
- Stanley Haymes (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Joker (Part I) - The King of Comedy"
At Elton Tower, Stan Haymes answers the doorbell. He is suddenly sprayed in the face with gas and quickly abducted from his home. The crime has all of the earmarks of the Joker.
Elsewhere in the city, Jeremiah Arkham drives along the road with Wilde Norton. Norton is obsessed with the Joker and wants revenge on him for slaughtering his family. Wilde tells Arkham that he will bring the Joker back to him so that he can be incarcerated. Arkham believes him and hands him the Joker's medical records from Arkham Asylum.
Later, the Batman learns of the recent abductions and begins searching for the Joker. He interrogates one of the Joker's old henchmen, Nuggets, but the thug has no information to offer him. Hopping into the Batmobile, Batman continues the search.
At Mercy Hospital, Jim Gordon arrives to check on Bullock. Harvey is still in a coma. Sarah Gordon arrives moments later and Jim grows increasingly uncomfortable. They both keep vigil over Harvey, neither one saying a word to each other.
Two more of the Joker's goons arrive at the home of Professor W.M. Venner at Gotham University. They spray him with knockout gas and load him into a van. A campus security officer notices them and radios the authorities. Batman intercepts the message on the police scanner and heads for their location. He catches up with the van, but the goons begin firing a grenade launcher at him. Batman manages to snatch the grenade launcher with his bat-line, and one of the thugs, Pete, falls onto the pavement. The other criminals floor the gas and get away. Pete is taken to the hospital.
At his apartment Wilde Norton continues to obsess over the Joker. He hears a news broadcast stating that one of the Joker's men has been captured. He goes to the hospital and interrogates the henchman who reveals that the Joker is hiding out at the old Mercey Mansion. Wilde kills Pete, then rides off on his motorcycle.
- Although this story centers around the Joker, he does not make an actual appearance in this issue.
- The license plate number on the Joker's henchmen's car is I-JEST.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 37 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe