"Solomon Grundy: One Night in Slaughter Swamp": Karin Rykel leads a tour group across Slaughter Swamp State Park in a speedboat. As she details the ecological characteristics of the swampland, Solomon Grundy bursts from the water, toppling their boat.
- Alan Scott said Grundy isn't really alive -- therefore he can't really die! I could let him go... but he walks like a man -- talks like a man -- and who am I to judge where life begins or ends?
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Solomon Grundy: One Night in Slaughter Swamp"
- Solomon Grundy (Flashback and main story)
- Jem (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Rachel Rykel (Single appearance) (Flashback only)
- Green Lantern (Alan Scott) (Flashback only)
- Jade (Flashback only)
- Billy (Single appearance)
- Karin Rykel (Single appearance) (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "Solomon Grundy: One Night in Slaughter Swamp"
Karin Rykel leads a tour group across Slaughter Swamp State Park in a speedboat. As she details the ecological characteristics of the swampland, Solomon Grundy bursts from the water, toppling their boat.
Later at Gotham City Police Headquarters, a call comes in from a ranger station out near Slaughter Swamp. The ranger details eyewitness accounts of a "white-skinned monster". Batman intercepts the broadcast on the police scanner, and drives to Slaughter Swamp.
That evening, Karin Rykel and several of the surviving children from the tour group set up camp in the woods. Solomon Grundy comes upon them, but Karin manages to keep him calm. In his own slow-witted way, Solomon begins to remember the first time that he ever emerged from the swamp, joining in with a gang of robbers, and fighting the original Green Lantern. He also remembers the time he spent with Green Lantern's daughter, Jade.
Grundy's reverie is broken by the sounds of loud shotgun bursts; two hunters, having found the monster with the lost tourists, open fire on him, blasting several pieces out of his dead, rotting hide. Grundy flies into a rage, and backhands Karin Rykel, killing her. Batman shows up, and distracts Grundy from going after the hunters. He ignites a phosphorus flare, which reacts to the ambient methane of the swamp, causing a large explosion. Running from the flames, Grundy dashes off into the middle of the swamp, and sinks down below the depths.
- This book was first published on April 18, 1995.
- The flashback scenes from this issue indicate that Cyrus Gold became Solomon Grundy in 1895. However, Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe XXI states that Gold became Grundy in 1894. The differences in years could be explained by the historical alterations wrought by the Crisis on Infinite Earths event.
- Reference is made to Mayor Armand Krol in this issue.
- It is never confirmed whether or not Karin Rykel is indeed a descendent of Cyrus Gold in this issue. Although Rachel Rykel claimed to be pregnant with Cyrus' illegitimate child in 1895, it is equally possible that she may have either been lying, or simply wrong. Grundy may also be related to another woman named Chrissie Cavendish. In Green Arrow (Volume 3) #53, Chrissie, a scientist for S.T.A.R. Labs, claims to be the great-great grand-daughter of Cyrus Gold. However, Chrissie's perceptions of Gold's history are extremely biased, and cannot be considered reliable.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 39 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman: Shadow of the Bat series
- Images from Batman: Shadow of the Bat Vol 1 39
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe