"Survivor Syndrome": After his wife is killed in a mob shootout, Olympic athlete Tom Dalton is consumed by grief and eventually devotes himself to vigilantism, complete with a costume mimicking Batman's. A perturbed Batman investigates the copycat, and eventually finds Dalton's hideaway. Dalton,
- Dalton believes his life's over. All that's left for him is vengeance. Since he can't have that... he doesn't want to go on living. He needs something. Something to immerse himself in. Something to give his life meaning again.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Survivor Syndrome"
- Pete "the Hit" Wilson (Flashback and main story)
- Rupert Thorne (Behind the scenes)
- Anne Dalton (Flashback and main story) (Dies)
Synopsis for "Survivor Syndrome"
After his wife is killed in a mob shootout, Olympic athlete Tom Dalton is consumed by grief and eventually devotes himself to vigilantism, complete with a costume mimicking Batman's. A perturbed Batman investigates the copycat, and eventually finds Dalton's hideaway. Dalton, badly wounded by a mugger's bullet, staggers inside shortly afterward.
Though he emphasizes deeply with Dalton, Batman also recognizes that Dalton's lack of experience may endanger civilians in the future. After nursing Dalton back to health, Batman subjects Dalton to a rigorous series of exercises, ostensibly meant to prove Dalton a worthy vigilante. Concentrating on the exercises eases Dalton's mind, and his nightmares begin to fade.
However, Dalton's peace of mind is quickly shattered when his wife's killer, Pete "The Hit" Wilson, returns to Gotham City. Upon spotting Wilson on the street, Dalton immediately attacks him, but is subdued by Wilson's gang and taken to a half-demolished building for interrogation. Batman quickly tracks Wilson down and subdues his men; in the ensuing confusion, Dalton breaks free and chases Wilson through the building.
The building's rotten timbers eventually collapse, leaving Dalton hanging onto a pipe and Wilson clinging desperately to his legs. Dalton is tempted to let go so both he and Wilson will fall to their deaths, but ultimately allows Batman to pull them both to safety. After Wilson and his gang are taken into custody, Batman and Dalton share a private conversation by the grave of Dalton's wife, each affirming what they choose to live for.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Adventures Vol 1 27 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman Adventures series
- Images from Batman Adventures Vol 1 27
- Adventures in the DC Universe
- Batgirl Adventures
- Batman Adventures (Volume 1)
- Batman Adventures (Volume 2)
- Batman Adventures: The Lost Years
- Batman Adventures: Mad Love
- Batman & Robin Adventures
- Batman and Superman Adventures: World's Finest
- Batman Beyond (Volume 1)
- Batman Beyond (Volume 2)
- Batman Beyond (Volume 4)
- Batman Beyond Unlimited (Volume 1)
- Batman Beyond Universe (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Adventures
- Batman: Harley and Ivy
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
- Gotham Girls
- Justice League Adventures
- Justice League Unlimited
- Superman Adventures
Links and References
- No external links.
This comic page is missing characters!
This comic page is missing one or more character appearances. If you find any characters that appear in this issue but are not included on the page, please add them to the Appearances list of the comic issue template.