Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Creature of the Night": Batman tracks down a serial mugger that has been stalking victims in the Park Row section of Gotham City. While he investigates the case, his mind reels back to his childhood.
- Slime like you made me. You earned me.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Creature of the Night"
Synopsis for "Creature of the Night"
When he was four-years-old, Bruce fell through a cistern on the Wayne estate and discovered the cavern that would one day become the Batcave. Soon after this event, Alfred Pennyworth came to work for Thomas and Martha Wayne.
When Bruce was eight-years-old, he was returning home from the movies with his parents, when a mugger, Joe Chill, accosted them, killing both Thomas and Martha Wayne. This event would drive Bruce towards an isolated existence and a life spent studying the law. Using his knowledge of computers, he manipulated the local bureaucracy allowing him to become the sole ward of Alfred Pennyworth. Child psychiatrist, Leslie Thompkins soon became a frequent fixture at the Wayne estate helping young Bruce through his darkest years.
As an adult, Bruce traveled the world, learning various crime-fighting skills from venerable masters. All of these would one day become part of the arsenal of the Batman.
- In October of 1994, all of the existing mainstream DC Comics titles released a special "0" issue to coincide with the Zero Hour crossover event. The purpose of the "0" issue was to reveal a previously unknown aspect of the title character's background. DC Titles under the Vertigo imprint were largely unaffected by Zero Hour and thus, no "0" issue specials were published for them.
- The flashback stories in this issue continue in Batman: Shadow of the Bat #0.
- Batman appears as Matches Malone in this issue.
- The following characters appear as illustrative flashbacks, but do not take part in any of the actual flashbacks: Bane, Batman (Jean-Paul Valley), Catwoman, Killer Croc, Nightwing, Penguin, Poison Ivy, Ra's al Ghul, Riddler, Robin (Dick Grayson), Robin (Jason Todd), Scarecrow and Two-Face.
- Unlike previous versions of Batman's origin, this version establishes that the murderer of Thomas and Martha Wayne remains unidentified to this day. In Pre-Zero Hour continuity, the man responsible for the double murder was Joe Chill. This story renders Batman: Year Two apocryphal.
- Earliest chronological appearance of Alfred Pennyworth.
- Earliest chronological appearance of Leslie Thompkins.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 0 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 0
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman article at Wikipedia
- Batman article at Toonopedia
- Batman article at Supermanica
- Batman article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Batman page at DC Comics
- Batman: Yesterday, Today and Beyond
- Batman: The Dark Knight
- Zero Hour article at Wikipedia
- Zero Hour Frequently Asked Questions
- Zero Hour series index at the DCU Guide
- Zero Hour series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Zero Hour series index at the Grand Comics Database
|Zero Hour Crossover|
The events from this issue or series are related to Zero Hour: A Crisis in Time!, or its successor event Zero Month. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the Zero Hour category.