Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"The Testimony of Catwoman": The report goes out from coast-to-coast in the underworld that Batman has been killed. But scores of contradictory versions spring up as to who did it, how it was done, or if it was done at all. To settle the controversy, Col. Jake "the Cl
Appearing in "The Testimony of Catwoman"
- Batman (Behind the scenes)
- Lex Luthor
- Mad Hatter II
- Mister Freeze
- Poison Ivy
- Ra's al Ghul
- Captain Stingaree
- Cavalier (In a vision)
- Killer Moth
- Two-Face (Behind the scenes)
- Colonel Jack van Cleeve (Single appearance)
- Cleeve Mansion
- Batmobile (In a vision)
Synopsis for "The Testimony of Catwoman"
The report goes out from coast-to-coast in the underworld that Batman has been killed. But scores of contradictory versions spring up as to who did it, how it was done, or if it was done at all. To settle the controversy, Col. Jake "the Claw" Van Cleeve, a top Gotham mobster, provides his estate as a court of crime to determine the truth or falsity of the reports from the top contenders, Catwoman, Lex Luthor, Riddler, and Joker.
Catwoman, in widow's weeds proceeds to give her testimony: After Batman recently broke up one of her rackets, she packed up her belongings and prepared to make her flee. Batman followed her to her hideout and took out her thugs while she escaped with her cats and treasure. Batman blocked the road with his Batmobile and forced them both off a bridge. She says that she bobbed to the surface and clung to a floating jaguar cage for safety. When Batman attempted to do the same, she made a tough decision, him, her jaguar, or a years worth of treasure. She kicked him off, and watched him drown.
"Two-Face" demolishes her testimony by demonstrating that her jaguar cage, made of Brazilian pepper tree wood, is too heavy to float and could not have supported her in the water. Her phony testimony is an attempt to convince the underworld that she is capable of killing, thus convincing top criminal talents, who have hitherto shunned her, to flock to her banner. The jury declares Catwoman not guilty, and Ra's al Ghul dismisses her and adjourns the court till the next claimant can be heard.
- This book was first published on June 7, 1977.
- This is the first part of the storyline called "Where Were You On The Night Batman Was Killed?"
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: The Strange Deaths of Batman.
- Starting with this issue, the tag that reads "Batman created by Bob Kane" starts to appear in the Batman comics.
- This issue is the lead story in that week's Daily Planet column.
- There's a small, fat bald man among the villains. This character seems likely to be one of the Tweed Brothers, but there is no clarification as to which one of them.
- The storyline that starts with this issue, is notable for being the first historical large gathering of Batman villains, with more than ten characters.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 291 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes
[[Category:Where Were You On The Night Batman Was Killed?|Batman Vol 1 0291]]