"The 1,001 Clue Caper or Why Did the Riddler Cross the Road?": While Batman and Robin are visiting Commissioner Gordon at the GCPD Headquarters, they are handed a book by Sgt. Harvey Hainer. The book is
Appearing in "The 1,001 Clue Caper or Why Did the Riddler Cross the Road?"
- Sergeant Harvey Hainer (Cameo)
- Jake Hammer (Single appearance)
- Karlyle Krugerrand (Cameo)
- Gregorian Falstaff (First appearance)
- Ambassador Hotel
Synopsis for "The 1,001 Clue Caper or Why Did the Riddler Cross the Road?"
While Batman and Robin are visiting Commissioner Gordon at the GCPD Headquarters, they are handed a book by Sgt. Harvey Hainer. The book is a volume of 1,001 riddles signed by the Riddler, who is presently hijacking a poultry truck.
Noting that the book came from the Gotham State Penitentiary Library, Robin goes to investigate and learns from the warden that convict Jake Hammer was wounded while trying to escape with the Riddler. Though Hammer is semi-conscious, Robin gets him to mutter the riddle-clue. At about the same time, the Riddler takes a garbage truck, loads it with the stolen chickens, looses the birds at the dock workers of a magazine distributor's warehouse, and loads the truck with a skid of magazines.
Meanwhile, Bruce Wayne pays a visit to Selina Kyle and apologizes for having her investigated. Although the lady was still hurt at first, she forgives Bruce and they resume their relationship. Later that night, Bruce Wayne becomes Batman again and after learning what Robin had uncovered, they go after the Riddler.
Robin tells Batman that the magazines the Riddler stole were intended for foreign distribution. The police, drawn by gunfire to the warehouse, found that it was a front for gun-runners. Batman, noting that Jake Hammer was convicted of gun-running, figures out the Riddler's latest scheme. The two heroes go to Gotham Harbor, where the Riddler is loading guns concealed in the magazines aboard a ship to receive payment from a foreign agent. The Dynamic Duo stop the operation and capture the Riddler and the gun-runners.
- This book was first published on August 9, 1979.
- This issue is reprinted in Tales of the Batman: Len Wein.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 317 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.