Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Year One (Part III of IV): Black Dawn": Flaming piles of debris drop down on top of Batman as the Gotham City SWAT team firebombs the derelict apartment building. Flammable materials within his utility belt begin to explode. Batman finds an e
- Sgt. Essen informed me that Wayne's parents were murdered by a mugger when he was eight years old. That's enough motive, I suppose, to make a man dress like Dracula and assault criminals...
- -- Lt. Gordon
Appearing in "Year One (Part III of IV): Black Dawn"
- Art, Fenton, Praeger, Pratt, Sussman, Swanson
- Otto the Cat (First appearance)
Synopsis for "Year One (Part III of IV): Black Dawn"Flaming piles of debris drop down on top of Batman as the Gotham City SWAT team firebombs the derelict apartment building. Flammable materials within his utility belt begin to explode. Batman finds an electrical cover and uses it to mask his presence. A ground crew enters the building and begins sifting through the rubble. Batman lures them into a lower section of the building and traps them.
Before preparing his escape, Batman uses a remote device to signal a massive flock of bats from the Batcave. The swarm of bats descends on the area giving Batman a chance to use them for cover to mask his escape. Several police squad cars attempt to follow the bat swarm, one of which even drives off Gotham Pier. Dozens of bystanders (including Selina Kyle) are forced to get rabies vaccinations.
Later, Jim Gordon consults with Sarah Essen over the Batman issue. Sarah suspects that the Batman may in fact be Bruce Wayne. Wayne has an alibi however, citing that he was skiing in Switzerland during the recent incident.
Gordon walks Essen home and the two share a romantic embrace. Jim instantly feels guilty knowing that his pregnant wife is home waiting for him.
In Gotham's East End, Selina Kyle decides to go into a different line of work. She punches out her pimp Stan and takes Holly with her. She fashions a costume for herself and becomes Catwoman for the first time.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Year One trade paperback.
- The events from this issue take place in both Post-Crisis New Earth continuity as well as Earth-31 continuity.
- This issue is the earliest chronological appearance of Selina Kyle as Catwoman.
- Otto the cat appears next in Batman #407.
- In this issue, James Gordon starts feeling attracted to Sarah Essen and his relation with his wife, Barbara, begins to crumble.
- The idea of Batman using a sonar device to attract bats to his location was later used in the movie Batman Begins.
- The tagline for this issue is:
- They've got him CORNERED.
- They've got him OUTNUMBERED
- They've got him TRAPPED
- They're in TROUBLE...
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 406 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 406
- Batgirl: Year One
- Batman: Year One
- Batman Annual #19
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Annual #5
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat Annual #3
- Catwoman (Volume 1)
- Catwoman (Volume 2) Annual #2
- Detective Comics Annual #8
- Robin: Year One
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes
|Crisis Reboot |
After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, a 1985-1986 maxiseries which completely reset the continuity of the entire DC Universe, all of DC's major characters and franchises needed to be updated to reflect the changes in the events of their lives. Multiple story arcs were put out to explain these rebooted versions of popular characters.