""Crossed Eyes and Dotty Teas"": Following the massive Arkham breakout, the Mad Hatter is the first to make a move. He breaks into a haberdashery, stealing several hats. He is observed by Bird and his falcon Talon. Unnoticed by Bird, the Hatter c
Appearing in "Crossed Eyes and Dotty Teas"
- Doctor Flanders (First appearance)
- Mad Hatter's pet chimp (Single appearance)
- Peter (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Crossed Eyes and Dotty Teas"
Following the massive Arkham breakout, the Mad Hatter is the first to make a move. He breaks into a haberdashery, stealing several hats. He is observed by Bird and his falcon Talon. Unnoticed by Bird, the Hatter captures the falcon and places a homing device on it.
Batman and Robin hear a police dispatch announcement regarding the crime, and try to beat the police to the scene. Batman discovers an invitation to a tea party to be held at Tenniel Estate, and they speed away, just as the police arrive.
The Hatter invites several criminals to join his tea party, under the pretense of giving them the opportunity to kill Batman. He forces them to put on his hats, which are fitted with voice-activated mind-control devices. He sends Film Freak out to find out who released them from confinement, because he doesn't appreciate being used. Film Freak uses the homing device placed on Talon to find Bane's hideout.Batman instructs Robin to be backup only, remaining out of the fight. However, Batman is obviously unwell, and Robin is filled with concern. The Caped Crusader bursts into the tea party and attacks Hatter and his thralls. He questions the Hatter about Bane's involvement, but the Hatter doesn't recognize the name. Bane shouts "I am Bane" into the Film Freak's transmitter, just before killing him. The Hatter sends his thugs after Batman, and when he trains a gun on the hero's back, Robin leaps into action, and saves his mentor's life.
The heroes overhear Bane shouting that he plans to kill the Batman over the transmitter. Robin assures Batman that they will find and catch their tormentor, but Batman is visibly shaken and exhausted - with the rest of Arkham's inmates still on the loose.
- This book was first published on March 17, 1993.
- This issue is Chapter One of the "Knightfall" Saga.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman: Knightfall Part One - Broken Bat and in Batman: Knightfall Volume One.
- The break-out at Arkham Asylum took place in Batman #491.
- The Batcomputer monitor screen reveals head-shots of many of the Arkham escapees including: Tweedledum and Tweedledee, Norm Breyfogle, Riddler, Joker, Two-Face, Ventriloquist, Mister Zsasz, Cornelius Stirk, Mad Hatter, Film Freak, Poison Ivy, Amygdala, Maxie Zeus, Killer Croc, Scarecrow, Black Mask, Doctor Destiny and Doug Moench.
- Knightfall continues in Detective Comics #659.
- At one point, Renee Montoya says "It can't be Hill Street everyday". This is a reference to the 1981 police drama Hill Street Blues.
- Writer Doug Moench and artist Norm Breyfogle are listed amongst the Arkham Asylum escapees.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 492 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 492
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
[[Category:Batman: Knightfall|Batman Vol 1 0492]]
|Knightfall Saga Crossover|
This comic issue is a part of the massive Knightfall crossover event. Knightfall consisted of three parts, Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd. The trilogy involved Batman's back being broken by Bane, the debut and subsequent descent into madness of Bruce Wayne's successor Batman Jean-Paul Valley, and Bruce Wayne's recovery and reclamation of his former title, combatting Valley himself. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Knightfall Crossover" category.