""The Broken Bat"":
- I am Bane -- and I could kill you... but death would only end your agony -- and silence your shame. Instead, I will simply... BREAK YOU!
- -- Bane
Appearing in "The Broken Bat"
- Amygdala (Flashback only)
- Black Mask (Flashback only)
- Firefly (Flashback only)
- General (Flashback only)
- Headhunter (Flashback only)
- Joker (Flashback only)
- Mad Hatter (Flashback only)
- Metalhead (Flashback only)
- Mister Zsasz (Flashback only)
- Poison Ivy (Flashback only)
- Riddler (Flashback only)
- Scarecrow (Flashback only)
- Tattoo (Flashback only)
- Two-Face (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "The Broken Bat"
Bruce Wayne enters his study at Wayne Manor and finds Bane waiting for him. He is shocked to find that Bane knows his secret identity. Bane states that he has always known who the Batman was, but that Bruce Wayne is merely a façade and the Batman is the true persona. Bane pumps himself full of Venom, in preparation for his final step in taking control of Gotham City. Bruce is disgusted that Bane would kill so many just to gain control of the city, and he sheds his bathrobe, dons his cape and cowl, and leaps into action.
Batman is exhausted from fighting Gotham's criminal underworld non-stop for nearly three nights. Alfred regains consciousness, and Bruce only has time to tell him to escape before Bane wraps his hands around his throat. Unlike Batman, Bane is in top form, and he easily smashes him through the grandfather clock that hides the access hatch into the Batcave. Batman stumbles down the steps and Bane trails after him. Alfred, severely injured, manages to crawl to the front door of the manor and gets to his feet while Bane batters his master around the cave. He begins limping across the yard towards Drake Manor. Tim Drake answers the door and Alfred tells him that they may need an ambulance. Tim gets into his costume.
Shondra Kinsolving tries to reach Bruce on the phone, but gets no reply, as Bane pummels him, determined to break the Batman's spirit. Broken and bleeding, wanting to die, Batman tells Bane to go to hell. Not satisfied with merely killing the Bat, Bane wants to prolong his adversary's agony.
Bane picks Batman up with both hands and then drives him down across his knee, shattering his spine. Satisfied, he let's Batman's crumpled body fall to the floor.
- The direct market edition of this issue originally shipped with an enhanced card stock half-cover overlay advertising "The Breaking of the Batman." The newsstand edition shipped with the normal Kelley Jones cover, but without the overlay.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Knightfall Part One: Broken Bat trade paperback and in Batman: Knightfall Volume One.
- This issue is Chapter Eleven of the "Knightfall" story-arc. The story continues in Detective Comics #664
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 497 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 497
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Volume )
Links and References
- Batman article at Wikipedia
- Batman article at Toonopedia
- Batman article at Supermanica
- Batman article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Batman page at DC Comics
- Batman: Yesterday, Today and Beyond
- Batman: The Dark Knight
|Knightfall Saga Crossover|
This comic issue is a part of the massive Knightfall crossover event. Knightfall consisted of three parts, Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd. The trilogy involved Batman's back being broken by Bane, the debut and subsequent descent into madness of Bruce Wayne's successor Batman Jean-Paul Valley, and Bruce Wayne's recovery and reclamation of his former title, combatting Valley himself. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Knightfall Crossover" category.