- Still they cry out for him... for their hero and savior... but he is broken... and Gotham is mine!
- -- Bane
Appearing in "Knights in Darkness"
Synopsis for "Knights in Darkness"
While Alfred and Tim Drake look after the crippled Bruce Wayne, Bane wastes no time solidifying his place as the leader of all criminal enterprises in Gotham City. He and his men cut a bloody swathe through the town, gunning down all rival crime lords from dozens of underworld families.
Bruce is obviously depressed, having faced another man squarely for the first time and lost. He feels he has failed his mission to protect Gotham. When he realizes that his back has been broken, he declares that Bane has destroyed him. Tim can barely conceal his tears at hearing his mentor so weak. Together, he and Alfred plan to contact Dr. Shondra Kinsolving, the same woman who rehabilitated Tim's father Jack Drake.
Alfred, Tim and Jean-Paul Valley move Bruce from the Batcave into the master bedroom of the manor. They then get to work destroying one of Bruce's Porches as part of a cover story to explain his injuries. Meanwhile, Jean-Paul and Sal Fiorini install a new security system to prevent Bane or anyone else from getting into the Manor again.
Doctor Kinsolving arrives and is impressed to see that Alfred has set up a triage in the manor that rivals that of any hospital. He explains to her that Bruce's rehabilitation must take place at his home, and that he cannot go to a hospital under any circumstances, lest his business ventures suffer from the publicity. Despite this, Doctor Kinsolving has already determined that Bruce's cover story is a lie, however, she agrees to complete his treatment, hoping to unravel the mystery. The Doctor's presence alone seems to improve Bruce's spirits.Meanwhile, Bane makes contact with Catwoman and offers her a position in his new empire. Catwoman doesn't care for Bane, but agrees to work with him (but not for him) on special assignments.
Back at the manor, Bruce tells Tim that the legacy of Batman must continue. Tim wants to contact Nightwing, but Bruce claims that Dick has his own responsibilities to look after. Instead, he chooses Jean-Paul Valley to take his place - on the condition that he should under no circumstances confront Bane. Tim brings Jean-Paul a Batman costume and the eager young man readily accepts the task.
A few moments later, Tim and Jean-Paul meet with Commissioner Gordon atop Gotham City Police Headquarters as Batman and Robin. Meanwhile, Bruce wonders if it might be a good idea to reveal his true identity to Doctor Kinsolving.
- This book was first published on July 31, 1993.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Knightfall Part Two - Who Rules the Night trade paperback and in Batman: Knightfall Volume One.
- This issue is Chapter Fifteen of the "Knightfall" Saga. The story continues in Detective Comics #665.
- Jean-Paul Valley assumes the identity of the Batman on a regular basis in this issue.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 498 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.
[[Category:Batman: Knightfall|Batman Vol 1 0498]]
|Knightfall Saga Crossover|
This comic issue is a part of the massive Knightfall crossover event. Knightfall consisted of three parts, Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd. The trilogy involved Batman's back being broken by Bane, the debut and subsequent descent into madness of Bruce Wayne's successor Batman Jean-Paul Valley, and Bruce Wayne's recovery and reclamation of his former title, combatting Valley himself. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Knightfall Crossover" category.