"Haunted Houses of the Head": Diving out of the window of an apartment, Batman catches the falling body of George Dunstan and brings him safely to the street. The Scarecrow however, manages to escape.
- That I've defeated and captured him time and again is a piercing thorn in his side. That I frighten him must be sheer hell.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Haunted Houses of the Head"
- George Dunstan
- Jackson Grey
- Gotham City
- Dark's Pandemonium Carnival
- Mayor's Mansion
Synopsis for "Haunted Houses of the Head"
Diving out of the window of an apartment, Batman catches the falling body of George Dunstan and brings him safely to the street. The Scarecrow however, manages to escape.
The following day, Armand Krol holds a press conference to talk about his re-election campaign. After the conference, he speaks with his press agent and instructs him to dig up some dirt on his rival Marion Grange.
That evening, the Scarecrow selects his next victim, Jackson Grey - another man who once tormented Jonathan Crane in high school. He abducts Grey and brings him to a horror-themed fun house. He ties him to a guillotine, which can be activated by a special trigger elsewhere in the building. Batman learns about the Grey abduction and traces him back to the fun house. He carefully negotiates a trail past the fun houses various pitfalls. He accidentally sets off a trap, which releases the guillotine blade above Grey's head. Fortunately, Batman is fast enough to push the man out of the way before he is beheaded. He soon encounters the Scarecrow who attempts to incapacitate Batman with his fear toxin. Batman tears the Scarecrow's hood away, leaving him vulnerable to the effects of his own gas. Jonathan Crane attempts to flee, but Batman closes in on him and knocks him out.
- No special notes.
- There is a comparison of James Gordon's beating of Tommy Mangles with the Rodney King incident.
- This issue is reprinted in Batman by Doug Moench & Kelley Jones Volume 1.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 524 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes