"Predemption": Batman watches helpless as Man-Bat is struck by a ray generated by the pulse injector. Surprisingly, Man-Bat survives the shock and flies away from the place. The government agents and the scientists are surprised for th
- I didn't come to the top of the world to slay a monster, Dr. Steinman. I came to save a man.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Predemption"
- Baldini (Final appearance)
- Hessler (Final appearance; Dies)
- Lydea Steinman (Final appearance)
- Trask (Final appearance)
- Mercy Hospital
Synopsis for "Predemption"
Batman watches helpless as Man-Bat is struck by a ray generated by the pulse injector. Surprisingly, Man-Bat survives the shock and flies away from the place. The government agents and the scientists are surprised for the results of the experiments. A few moments later, another ray is fired but this time it struck one of the scientists who died immediately leaving only the skull and his boots. Batman knew the danger of the beam and he destroyed the artifact. The people noticed him but he managed to escape the place using the government agents' helicopter. Dr. Steinman decided to follow Batman in a dogsled.
Batman followed Man-Bat's trail but the chopper ran out of fuel before he could reach Langstrom. Doctor Lydea Steinman reached Batman and offered him a ride. During the trip they discussed important matters about the HAARP Project; and the responsibility that wielding such power would mean. The government agents caught up with them and Batman stopped to get rid of them once and for all. Meanwhile in Gotham City, Commissioner Gordon told Francine Langstrom that her husband was still alive and that Batman was working to get him back.
Later; Batman and Dr. Steinman found a cave and giant footprints that indicated that Man-Bat was inside the cave. Batman told the doctor to wait for him outside while he entered the cave and deal with Man-Bat.
Batman tried to speak to Langstrom but the doctor was completely berserk and contolled by the animal side in him. The two of the struggled for a while. Batman then told him to use him as his prey. Man-Bat approached close enough for Batman to inject the antidote as the creature grabbed him and took off the ground. The antidote started to work and Langstrom started to transform back into a human but they were still in mid air. Batman used the time left of Langstrom's wings to direct their fall into a pile of soft snow. Batman came out of the cave with Dr. Langstrom now fully human. Batman gave him his cape and both met Dr. Steinman who was astonished to see the real man behind the beast. The three of them walked away into the light of the rising sun.
- Man-Bat appears next in Scare Tactics #10.
- The story follows the events of Batman #537.
- This issue is the last part of the three part storyline labeled as Darkest Night of the Man-Bat.
- As in the previous issue, there are references to the High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program.
- There is a reference to the Hammer of Thor; also known as Mjölnir.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 538 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.