"Jurisprudence, Part One": Renee Montoya and her brother were being held prisoners at the Court House. The Tally Man opened Renee's cell and told her that the boss wanted to see her. Her brother tried to fight Tally Man, but he was unable
Appearing in "Jurisprudence, Part One"
- Gotham Pier 24
- Gotham Court
Synopsis for "Jurisprudence, Part One"
Renee Montoya and her brother were being held prisoners at the Court House. The Tally Man opened Renee's cell and told her that the boss wanted to see her. Her brother tried to fight Tally Man, but he was unable to do anything useful.
Tally Man took Renee to the main chamber where Two-Face was waiting for her with a banquet prepared by Renee's mother. Renee was suspicious of Two-Face's plan but she had no option but to play his game. Two-Face told her to eat something and that he needed her to do something for him. Renee wasn't sure of Two-Face's meaning and then the gangster gave her a uniform that he wanted her to wear when he returns to the Court House.
Two-Face moved with his gang to Blue Boys territory and he sneaked inside of James Gordon's house while his people waited outside. Two-Face took down the officer guarding the Gordon's home and then he gave the order for his troops to attack every officer nearby the house. James and Sarah Essen woke up after hearing the gunshots but before they could move, Two-Face smashed their bedroom door, knocked down Sarah and apprehended James after reading him his rights. With his prisoner, Two-Face escaped from the scene and told his henchmen to stay behind and delay the incoming police officers. Tally Man wasn't sure if they could make what Two-Face asked but they had no choice.
Meanwhile at Gotham Pier 24, Penguin is finishing a deal with a mysterious woman. When the woman left the place, Batman and Robin broke into the place and demanded answers from Penguin. Cobblepot told them that he didn't knew the woman's name or who was she working for, but that she has been placing many building supplies inside Gotham City with his help. Batman was curious about the situation, but at that moment Oracle contacted him and told him about the recent attack on James Gordon's place. Batman and Robin left at once and Penguin knew that he had been upstaged.
At the Gotham Court, Renee was putting the uniform on and she realized that it was the uniform used by the bailiff at a trial. Montoya's mother and father were arguing about Two-Face's real intentions and the protection he has provided them over the course of No Man's Land. At that moment, Two-Face arrived and saw Renee all dressed up and ready. Two-Face took her to the Court Room. It was empty and Two-Face told Renee that they were going to have a trial. Renee doubted that it would be just the two of them and Two-Face told her to bring in the defendand. Renee walked to the door, Two-Face was pointing at and she saw James Gordon handcuffed and beaten. At first, she refused to play Two-Face's game, but she remembered her parents and then she obeyed Two-Face's commands. Two-Face called their attention and started a court session with him as the prosecutor and jury; James Gordon as the defendant and Renee Montoya as the first witness.
- This is the first part of the storyline titled Jurisprudence. The events of this issue take place after Batman: Shadow of the Bat #92. No Man's Land and Jurisprudence continues in Detective Comics #739.
- In Ben Montoya's cell at the court house is the Superman Symbol in a wall poster as well as a Spalding Basketball.
- This issue is the first one to showcase a relation between Renee Montoya and Two-Face.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 572 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.
|No Man's Land Crossover|
This issue is a part of the Batman: No Man's Land crossover that swept through all Batman Family Titles during 1999. Gotham City was declared by the President to be no longer a part of the United States after the combined disasters of Contagion, Legacy and Cataclysm.