- The world's greatest detective, and you still haven't figured it out? Life's just a game, Batman... and this time, you lose.
- -- Jason Todd
Appearing in "Hush (Part X of XII) - The Grave"
- Clayface (Johnny Williams) (First appearance) (apocrypha; see trivia)
Synopsis for "Hush (Part X of XII) - The Grave"
Batman and Catwoman are in the Batcave going through all of the computer equipment. Batman realizes that there was a double meaning behind Ra's placement of a sword in the computers, and he needs to determine what message Ra's was trying to send him.
Suddenly, Robin drops down from the ceiling and criticizes Batman for letting Catwoman in on his secret identity. Catwoman and Robin briefly clash, but Batman breaks it up. Frustrated, Catwoman borrows a bat-cycle and speeds off into the night. Tim's behavior towards Catwoman was a staged act to determine whether Catwoman was worthy of Bruce's trust.
In the streets of Gotham, Catwoman encounters the Huntress. The Huntress is acting very strangely and the two get into a brawl. It soon becomes apparent that the Huntress is under the thrall of the Scarecrow's fear toxin. Batman arrives on the scene and fights the Scarecrow. Their fight takes them to a small private cemetery. Batman beats the Scarecrow up, and demands to know who has been manipulating so many of Gotham’s criminal minds.
Suddenly, a Batarang flies from out of nowhere, nicking the Scarecrow's face. Batman wheels around and sees Hush standing before him. Hush has captured Robin and currently holds his unconscious body by the scruff of the neck. He removes the bandages from his face revealing himself as Jason Todd – the second Robin who died years ago.
- This issue is reprinted in the Batman: Hush, Volume 2 trade paperback.
- Batman and Catwoman appeared last in a special "Hush" interlude presented in Wizard #0. The interlude is likewise reprinted in Batman: Hush, Volume 2.
- Although this issue posits the notion that Jason Todd is actually Hush, the true identity of Hush will be revealed in issue #618.
- Originally, Jason Todd's presence in this issue was intended to be Clayface (Johnny Williams). Information revealed in Batman Annual #25 reveals that Jason truly is back from the dead, and present during this event. For a brief period of time, Jason operated as the second Robin, until the Joker savagely beat him to death with a crowbar. 
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 617 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 617