Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
"Grotesk Part 1": Gotham City police officers arrive at Dock 42 where Donny Lucido is burning to death. They are too late to save him however, Commissioner Gordon and a forensics team arrive to survey the body. Batman also arrives, disguis
- You don't seek justice. You seek vengeance. They're not the same. You have no regard for life. So I'm stopping you.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Grotesk Part 1"
- Donny Lucido
- Georg Williamson (Behind the scenes)
- Jacqui Tremayne (Flashback only)
- Nancy Savrides
- Gotham City
Synopsis for "Grotesk Part 1"
Gotham City police officers arrive at Dock 42 where Donny Lucido is burning to death. They are too late to save him however, Commissioner Gordon and a forensics team arrive to survey the body. Batman also arrives, disguised as African-American forensic specialist "Gary Peterson," to survey the scene first hand. Lucido is the third fatal burn victim in the past several nights, all with sections of their face sliced away and removed, but nothing else connecting them.
As the night carries on, Batman begins investigating another matter. A group of thugs, led by Russian mobster Perun, has been hassling Dr. Amina Franklin at Leslie Thompkins' clinic for money owed by her two years dead brother. Batman faces off with him Perun's thugs, disarming them one by one. When one slips behind him, a large burst of flame from above engulfs him.
From the top of a nearby building stands Grotesk, a hulking brute armed with a cybernetic fire cannon. He yells that Batman is "too merciful" before he turns his flame cannon on more of Perun's men. Batman quickly scales the building, leaping onto Grotesk and punching him from into a garbage dumpster. After admitting guilt in the serial killings, Grotesk suggests a team-up between himself and Batman, who refuses on account of his style. Grotesk then sets a passing by truck on fire, forcing Batman to chose between capturing him or rescuing the driver--which he does.
In the Batcave, the Dark Knight begins investigating the late Wayne Franklin, trying to discover a link between him, his sister Amina, and Grotesk. Wayne Franklin perished in a set warehouse explosion over two months ago. Batman recalls meeting him several years ago when, as Bruce Wayne, and beginning a relationship with his sister Amina. The Wayne Foundation had funded Franklin's work on his I-Gore device--an instrument that would allow a surgeon to work from miled away. Both Bruce and Alfred theorize that Wayne Franklin may not be dead at all, but may in fact be Grotesk. Donning his mask, Batman says that he is going to investigate one of Franklin's competitors, a company called Omnimed.
- This book was first published on November 29, 2006.
- A new creative team takes over Batman for this (four issue) story.
- The events from this issue take place on January 10th-11th.
- Includes DC Nation editorial by Dan DiDio. Honoring the Thanksgiving holiday, DC editors speak about what they are thankful for.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 659 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 659
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman article at Wikipedia
- Batman profile at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Batman series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Batman series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Batman series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe