"Batman in Bethlehem": The world has been plunged into a series of constant war and terror set against the backdrop of a climate of nearly unlivable temperatures. And in this dark and all too possible future, Damian Wayne - who has sold his soul to Satan in
- The apocalypse is canceled. Until I say so.
Appearing in "Batman in Bethlehem"
- Batman (Damian Wayne) (Flashback and main story) (Origin)
- Bat-Devil (Dies)
- Candyman (Mentioned only)
- Dollotrons (First appearance)
- Flamingo (First appearance)
- Jackanapes (First appearance)
- Loveless (Mentioned only)
- Max Roboto (First appearance)
- Nikolai (First appearance)
- Phosphorus Rex (Mentioned only)
- Professor Pyg (First appearance; dies)
- The Weasel (First appearance)
- Alfred the Cat (First appearance)
- Batman (Dick Grayson) (Dies in flashback)
- Bruce Wayne (Flashback only)
- Gotham City Police Department
- League of Assassins (Flashback only)
- Talia al Ghul (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Batman in Bethlehem"
The world has been plunged into a series of constant war and terror set against the backdrop of a climate of nearly unlivable temperatures. And in this dark and all too possible future, Damian Wayne - who has sold his soul to Satan in exchange for Gotham's protection in the night of Batman's death - now wears the mantle of the Bat. Bearing a personal vendetta against the Dark Knight of the future, Commissioner Barbara Gordon continues to hunt him down out of revenge for a loved one's death she blames Damian for.
The Third Batman, claiming to be the Anti-Christ returning to bring about Armageddon, has killed five major Gotham crime bosses. Each murder scene, when connected together makes a five pointed star across the face of Gotham. Damian wonders if the Third Batman is aware of his own arrangement with the Dark Prince.
Armed with a flame thrower and accompanied by some of the worst of Arkham Asylum's offenders, the so-called Anti-Christ crashes a climate change summit and holds the diplomats hostage. His plan to draw out Damian works like a charm as the son of Batman arrives mutilating anything that gets in his way as he heads towards the face-off.
Aside from obviously being unaware of Damian's satanic past. the Third Batman is also unaware of Damian's mind boggling level of preparation for his fight. "The victory is in the preparation," Bruce used to say. And Damian, knowing he could never fill the boots of his predecessors, has gone about booby trapping every inch of Gotham.
Damian detonates one of the bombs sending the "son of Satan" flying through a plate glass window and into a pool outside. He recovers and returns that Damian bow to him and claiming that Bruce Wayne should have killed this third impostor when he had a chance.
Damian promised his father he would never kill, but like so many other things, Damian fails to follow his father's wishes. He slashes the impostor's innards before snapping his neck saying, "What happened to my dad paved the way for a Batman like me. Too bad for you... Tell your big, bad daddy to bring it on anytime. If he wants what I owe him... Batman is waiting."
Damian tells the diplomats in attendance that they are free to go but Barbara arrives on the scene and shoots him. Unfortunately for her, bullets don't appear to kill Damian. Shocked at this revelation, Barbara demands to know who Batman is.
"The best friend you've got. The apocalypse is canceled... until I say so." is all he replies.
- This story is set fifteen years in the future and features Batman's son Damian Wayne in the title role of the Batman.
- Collected in Batman: Batman And Son.
- Some particular elements of the story tie in with the issue number, which according to the Holy Bible is the "number of the beast", normally associated with the Devil.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Batman Vol 1 666 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Batman series
- Images from Batman Vol 1 666
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Batman at Wikipedia.org
- Batman at DC Comics
- Batman at DCU Guide
- Batman at Newsarama
- Batman at DC Indexes
- Batman at Comic Book Resources
- Batman Yesterday Today and Beyond
- Batman at TV Tropes