This trade paperback collects seventeen Batman tales. Two are actually from 1939, the other fifteen are from the 40's.
This trade paperback reprints stories from the following comic book issues:
- Batman #7 (The People vs. the Batman from November, 1941);
- Batman #15 (Your Face Is Your Fortune from February, 1943);
- Batman #20 (Bruce Wayne Loses the Guardianship of Dick Grayson from December, 1943);
- Batman #31 (Alfred, Armchair Detective from October, 1945);
- Batman #37 (The Joker Follows Suit from October, 1946);
- Batman #47 (The Origin of the Batman! from June, 1948);
- Batman #48 (The 1,000 Secrets of the Batcave! from August, 1948);
- Batman #49 (The Scoop of the Century! from October, 1948);
- Detective Comics #27 (The Case of the Chemical Syndicate from May, 1939);
- Detective Comics #33 (The Batman and How He Came to Be from November, 1939);
- Detective Comics #38 (Robin the Boy Wonder from April, 1940);
- Detective Comics #49 (Clayface Walks Again from March, 1941);
- Detective Comics #80 (The End of Two-Face from October, 1943);
- Real Fact Comics #5 (The True Story of Batman and Robin from January, 1947);
- Star-Spangled Comics #70 (Clocks of Doom! from July, 1947);
- World's Finest #30 (The Penny Plunderers from September, 1947).
This trade paperback also collect the story Half Man Half Monster which was originally presented in newspapers in June/August, 1946.
- The paperback includes an introduction by Bill Schelly.
- The paperback includes some information about Batman in the 40's in short chapters called Milestones, Props, The Batman Family and The Villains.