Beatriz Bonilla da Costa, alias Fire followed an unusual career path, starting as an amateur model on the beaches of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil then becoming a showgirl and stage performer before finding herself serving as an undercover secret agent for the Brazilian government. In the course of one of her missions, she was exposed to the accident which granted her super-human powers, prompting her to assume the identity of the Green Fury and join the international superhero team the Global Guardians.
Shortly after changing her name to the Green Flame, the Guardians' UN funding was withdrawn in the wake of the formation the Justice League International. Miss da Costa talked her teammate and friend Icemaiden into joining her in approaching the Justice League Embassy and asking for a job and remarkably, in the wake of Black Canary's resignation and the abduction of several members, the short-handed JLI took them on. Eventually, she once again changed her heroic name, this time to "Fire" in affinity with Icemaiden's shortening of her name to simply Ice.
She served the longest continuous term of any Justice League International member, including an extended period of depowerment after an encounter with Doomsday, a period which sadly coincided with the death of her best friend, Ice, at the hands of the Overmaster.
She subsequently returned to Brazil, and attempted to establish herself as the country's primary superhero. This met with variable success, which she blamed partly on the Martian Manhunter's visibility in the Southern hemisphere.
Fire had retired from super-heroing to establish a career as an internet glamour girl when Maxwell Lord talked her and several other former JLI members into reforming as a group of "heroes for the common man" called the "Super Buddies". She found herself apartment-sharing with Mary Marvel and, in a situation reminiscent of her former interactions with Ice, forced herself into the reluctant role of "babysitter" for the woefully naive teenager.
When attempting to rescue Ice's spirit from Hell (or a dimension similar to it), Fire accidentally looked back, causing the spirit to vanish. During the Super Buddies' time in Hell, Etrigan the Demon suggested that it was Fire who was fated to die instead of Ice.
It seems that after the dissolution of the Super Buddies, Fire had returned to her work as detective and secret agent. In that role she helped Booster Gold and Guy Gardner find the connection between Maxwell Lord and Blue Beetle's death. She then took part in an assault by her former teammates from Justice League International and the Super Buddies against a group of OMACs. Badly wounded, she was saved by the sacrifice of Rocket Red. Guy Gardner and Booster Gold took her to a hospital. After recovering, Fire appears as an agent of Amanda Waller.
One Year Later
Fire later joins Checkmate and becomes the Black King's Knight. This leads to a change in her character as she willingly acts as an assassin and killer. However, Fire regrets taking part in a Checkmate mission in which as many as fifty Kobra personnel were killed, many immolated by Fire herself.
The New 52
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
Andre Briggs approached Fire as a representative of Brazil for the U.N.-sponsored Justice League International. She joins the team run by Booster Gold, and their first mission it to go to Peru and finds some missing UN personnel. Their first mission is a race of giant robots called the Signal Men wreaking havoc across the planet. The team are forced to retreat when Ice is injured by the machine. Several team members disagree with this but Fire is concerned for Ice. They investigate the threat underground in teams Fire goes with Vixen to the investigate the robot in South Africa, where they find a cavern under the robot. While there they are attacked by mud-men and knocked unconscious. The entire team is captured by the alien responsible, a world-destroyer named Peraxxus. They finally learn to work together as a team they distract Peraxxus in a brawl while Rocket Red reprograms his equipment. Peraxxus flees and they crash his spacecraft into Earth, declaring themselves victorious from the rubble. This success gets them public approval, Briggs finally announces the JLI at a public debut ceremony.
Their public debut is attacked by a group of terrorists called the Burners led by anarchist super-villain Breakdown. Andre Briggs, Emerson Esposito and Rocket Red are killed in the explosion. OMAC attacks the team, and they subdue then recruit him. In Paris they help Jason Rusch take down a group of rogue Firestorms. They track down the Burners, but the League is defeated by Intersek . Breakdown stages a public execution, but OMAC breaks them out.  At Rocket Red's funeral, they decide to continue the team without government funding in honor of his sacrifice.
The team try to to regain U.N. approval, but they're disbanded when Brother Eye takes control of OMAC and destroys them. The team using Skeets to infect his programming, purges OMAC after the entire team is devastated..
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Pyroplasmic Form: Beatriz was saturated by an energy called "Pyroplasm" which caused her body take on a fiery form at will. Once in her green form she can take off into the sky and blazes forth with immolating fire.
- Pyrokinesis: Fire can create and project green flame from any part of her body. She has full control over her form while on fire as well as any fire she projects forth.
- Intangibility: While she can't extend her fire through solid objects she can allow solid objects to pass through her fiery form without injury.
- Thermal-Blast: Fire can project green flame at any time even without taking her fiery form. Early in her career she had no idea she could do much else than project her unique flame.
- Flight: By bursting fire behind her she can take off into the sky and control her flight speed by adjusting her flames in response.
- Investigation: Beatriz is a skilled investigator and espionage agent.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Beatriz was also trained by Batman in hand-to-hand combat.
- Artistry: She is shown to have a marketable fashion sense having at times worked as a fashion designer.
- Multilingualism: Bea can speak Portuguese, Spanish and English.
- 333 Appearances of Beatriz da Costa (New Earth)
- 54 Images featuring Beatriz da Costa (New Earth)
- 5 Quotations by or about Beatriz da Costa (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Beatriz da Costa (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #1
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #2
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #3
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #4
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #5
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #6
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #7
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #9
- ↑ Fury of Firestorm #9
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #10
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #11
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) #12
- ↑ Justice League International (Volume 3) Annual #1
- ↑ 52 #4
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Fire (DC Comics). The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Checkmate Member |
This character was a member of the top secret government organization Checkmate. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Checkmate members" and "Government Agents" categories.