Bertram Larvan was an inventor who designed a mechanical insect to control insect pests. Unfortunately, he had no financial backing to support his invention. He resolved to steal money he needed for his invention. He later used his invention to steal more. Soon, he had an army of mechanical insects and took the name of the Bug-Eyed Bandit. In his earliest known adventure, he encountered the Atom and discovered his secret identity of Ray Palmer. The Atom fought the Bandit and Bertram tried to use a special amnesiac gas from one of his robot insects against him. However, he accidentally used it on himself, forgetting the Atom's real identity. Larvan was sent to prison. As he had no memory of being a criminal, he turned out to be a model prisoner. However, Bertram was struck in thead during an accident at the prison and regained his memories. He broke out of jail and set upon avenging himself against the Atom. He sent one of his robot bugs out to kill him, and he believed that he had succeeded. The Atom survived however and the two came to blows once again. He managed to capture him and tried to learn the secrets of Ray Palmer's size control powers. The Bandit accidentally released the Atom from captivity however, and Palmer was able to defeat him. An electrical short caused the Bug-Eyed Bandit to lose his memories once again. During the Crisis on Infinite Earths, the Bug-Eyed Bandit was one of the people killed by the Anti-Monitor's Shadow Demons.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Entomology: The Bug-Eyed Bandit was an expert in the study of insects.
- Robotic Engineering: The Bug-Eyed Bandit was proficient in the field of robotics and micro-circuitry and used this talent to create a horde of small robotic insects.
Average: Bertram Larvan possessed the strength level of a man his age, size and weight who engaged in moderate regular exercise.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Bertram Larvan's name was revealed on his memorial vault placard at the JLA Hall of Justice in Blackest Night #3.
- 10 Appearances of Bertram Larvan (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Bertram Larvan (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Bertram Larvan (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Bertram Larvan (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Atom Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Atom, the mighty mite. He may also have been an enemy of of the second Atom. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Atom Villains category."