Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambig.|
As a young adult, he lived with his father on a houseboat, earning some reputation as a diver and a treasure hunter. Hearing about the interest in the "Amnesty Bay Merman", he aggressively chased leads, hoping to catch the cryptid and win a fortune. One night, his investigation led to him accidentally kill Tom Curry, a local lighthouse owner. Soon afterwards, the Merman broke into his houseboat and murdered the diver's father, on the assumption that they were the killer. Out of vengeance, the diver crafted weapons and armor, and went hunting. When the Merman became a publicly-known hero as Aquaman, he became Black Manta.
Aquaman created a team known as the Others (forged of six Atlantean relics from the Dead King's tomb) to catch Black Manta. The team failed at their first attempt to apprehend him, and Black Manta escaped.
After a hunter-versus-hunter chase between Black Manta and Aquaman's team of Others, Black Manta discovered that there was a secret hidden relic, like the ones the Others possessed, still left in the Dead King's tomb. Kidnapping Stephen Shin, Manta found the last relic before Aquaman and the Others could reach him.  In his escape, Manta killed Vostok-X, causing Aquaman to swear revenge. 
Black Manta delivered the relic scepter to a mysterious Atlantean but was ambushed by the Others in the process. Though the buyer managed to escape, Black Manta was defeated, and Aquaman, despite wanting to avenge his fallen comrade Vostok-X, spared Manta's life, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of a respectable death. 
Manta was transported to Belle Reve Prison, where he was offered to join Amanda Waller's Suicide Squad but refused, saying he would only die by Aquaman's hand..
When the Crime Syndicate came to Earth thru Pandora's Box, all prison systems was opened allowing the criminals to escape. Black Manta went to the grave of his father. But when Ultraman moved the moon to block the sun, it cause a tidal wave that swept open his father's grave. This angered Black Manta who now goes to the Crime Syndicate looking for revenge.  After retrieving Black Adam's body from the ocean, Black Manta meets up with Lex Luthor, the Kryptonian clone that Lex Luthor created, and Captain Cold where he tells them what Ultraman's actions did to his father's grave. Lex Luthor realizes that with the help of his Kyptonian clone, Black Adam, Black Manta, and Captain Cold, he may be able to stop the Crime Syndicate.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Black Manta was trained to fight by his father from an early age. He's honed his skill over the years fighting Aquaman.
- Weaponry: Black Manta has a large arsenal of both underwater and above water weaponry. He's even used Aquaman's trident with proficiency, choosing it over his own helm. He could cut a man's throat with a coin.
- Swimming: Black Manta is highly skilled at swimming. Deathstroke stated that he "cuts through water like a torpedo".
- Black Manta was created by Bob Haney and Nick Cardy, first appearing in Aquaman Vol 1. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis's New 52 Aquaman series.
- Black Manta has three long scars across his face.
- 65 Appearances of Black Manta (Prime Earth)
- 38 Images featuring Black Manta (Prime Earth)
- 4 Quotations by or about Black Manta (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Black Manta (Prime Earth)
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Aquaman, or members of the Aquaman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Aquaman Villains."
Secret Society of Super-Villains member
Injustice League member
Suicide Squad member
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."