Mark Desmond was a chemist who had wanted to become stronger, having been scrawny as a youngster. Experimenting on himself, he created a serum that made him grow stronger and taller, but in the process was turned into a mindless brute; an additional side-effect of the serum was that it took away his power of speech. Desmond was cared for by his criminally-minded brother, Roland, who shielded Mark's monstrous appearance from their mother.
Roland used Mark to commit crimes until they were stopped by Batman and Robin. Mark had been rescued from drowning in quicksands by Bruce Wayne a few weeks earlier and the Dark Knight Detective discovered that he could calm and stall the behemoth by removing his cowl and revealing his face. The sight did indeed calm the giant, preventing further destruction.
After that encounter, Blockbuster retreated and sought solitude, but a few weeks later he returned to Gotham seeking to eliminate Batman. The Dark Knight used his previous method of revealing his identity to calm the beast, but this time, another criminal became involved: The Outsider. Ever since he went free, Blockbuster had been manipulated by the Outsider, who wanted to use Blockbuster's brute force to kill Batman, but Batman foiled the plan. Blockbuster was defeated and Bruce Wayne sent him to the Alfred Foundation, to research a cure for his current state.
Blockbuster was eventually confronted by Solomon Grundy and the two juggernauts knock each other with their brute force. After this confrontation, Blockbuster became much more mild, but his hatred for Batman would be a perfect trigger for his brutish nature. After some serious events, Batman found a way to trick him into believing that he was his friend, by wearing a mask of Solomon Grundy.
Amanda Waller recruits Blockbuster to the Suicide Squad under Task Force X. The other members are criminals forced to wear explosive bracelets, but Blockbuster became a member for other reasons. They were sent to destroy Brimstone, who was attacking Mount Rushmore. Brimstone murdered Blockbuster by burning him to death. This distracted Brimstone long enough for Deadshot to deliver the killshot.
- Unique Physiology
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- The name "Blockbuster" was given to him after a journalist listened Robin using the term to describe Desmond's monstrous appearance and strength.
- Mark Desmond is unable to speak while he is under the effects of his blockbuster serum.
- 36 Appearances of Mark Desmond (New Earth)
- 13 Images featuring Mark Desmond (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Mark Desmond (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Mark Desmond (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."