Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
The Blood Gem is a mystical relic created over one-hundred and sixty years ago. A group of impoverished slaves, routinely brutalized by a sadistic master named Jacob Whitney, crafted the gemstone and concentrated all of their rage and hatred into it. They used the power of this stone to tear Whitney's soul from his body, trapping it inside of the gem. Whitney's spirit festered in its prison for over a century where he eventually mutated into the monstrous being known as Rott.
In the material world, the Blood Gem was passed down through several generations of former slaves until it finally reached the hands of a being known as Bloodwynd. Rott's essence trapped Bloodwynd inside of the gem with him and held him captive. A hero known as the Martian Manhunter learned of Bloodwynd's fate and attempted to help him, but Rott's control over the gem's mystic properties proved too strong for the Manhunter. Rott used the stone's power to manipulate the Martian Manhunter into believing himself the true Bloodwynd. Through it, he unconsciously adopted Bloodwynd’s form and personality.
Unaware of his true identity, the Manhunter joined a revitalized version of the Justice League using the alias Bloodwynd (the true Bloodwynd was still trapped inside the gem). During a battle against the alien monster known as Doomsday, League member Blue Beetle discovered the truth about the amnesiac Martian Manhunter and learned that an innocent man was still enslaved inside of the jewel. The League recruited the aid of the Atom and the Ray and together they entered the internal mystic dimension of the Blood Gem and fought against Rott. Freeing the true Bloodwynd, the Martian Manhunter regained his normal personality and Bloodwynd became the caretaker of the Blood Gem.
- Similar to a tesseract dimension, the Blood Gem is actually a gateway into an interdimensional reality. The interior of the Blood Gem is geometrically larger than the dimensions of the gemstone itself, allowing its inhabitants to explore its alien environment unencumbered.
- The Blood Gem is not to be confused with the Bloodstone, a mystical vampire artifact used in the Subspecies films.
- Justice League Specatacular #1
- Justice League America #61
- Justice League America #71
- Justice League America #74
- Justice League America #77
Links and References
- Bloodwynd article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Blood Gem article at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe