A Boom Tube is a slang expression for an extra dimensional point-to-point travel portal opened by a Mother Box used primarily by the New Gods of New Genesis and Apokolips. The moniker derives from the loud "BOOM" that erupts when a tube is created.
Orion once said that a boom tube "stems from the waves of the mind" but they allow people to travel interstellar distances almost instantaneously by creating a wormhole through space. The tubes need to be generated or opened by another device, commonly a Mother Box. Boom tubes are powered by the mysterious element X, which serves as a matter threshold.
- The initial Kirby comics depict boom tubes as a sort of quasi-technological equivalent of Bifrost, the Rainbow Bridge linking Asgard and Earth; indeed, boom tubes are described as a "bridge to Earth." Subsequent writers have allowed the tubes to be used for point-to-point transport between various locations on New Genesis, Apokolips, Earth and other planets, thereby making them near-ubiquitous for the travel of the New Gods. Boom tubes replaced other mostly undefined concepts like the Electron Road, the Matter Threshold and the Star Gate, all of which have been used by the New Gods for travel from either New Genesis or Apokolips.
- Later canon is unclear on whether it is even possible to travel from the regular universe to that of the New Gods without a boom tube or similar device. Justice League International #19 shows the JLI reaching Apokolips using a normal spacecraft, but Cosmic Odyssey explicitly states that one cannot reach Apokolips or New Genesis without a tube.
- The "tube only" idea was reinforced when later writers introduced the idea that the New Gods were, in fact, giants. The technology used in a Boom-Tube automatically compensates for a traveler's size and mass when teleporting them from one galaxy to another. Beings native to the realm of the New Gods for example are actually many times the size of a normal Earth human, but their volume, mass and density decreases when they travel to Earth, and returns to normal when they return home.  If Superman were to travel to Apokolips in some manner under his own power, he would be miniature (if not microscopic) in comparison to Darkseid. This was revisited in the 52 mini-series, demonstrated by the great size of the New God Devilance the Pursuer. The precise size ratio has varied, with New Gods in their "original" size being depicted as anywhere from tens of feet tall, to tens of thousands of miles tall (as in New Gods (Volume 4) #10).
- In Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle (Volume 1), it was revealed that the technology is properly named "boom lanes" by the New Gods. However, the noise disorients the character, so he later calls it "'boom tube', or something."
- In Justice League of America (Volume 2) #1, Dr. Impossible uses a Fatherbox to summon "hush tubes".
Links and References
|This page uses content from Wikipedia. The original article was at Boom tube. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. The text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
Copy Edit Needed