Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Deadman (real name Boston Brand) is an aerialist turned superhero, associated with the supernatural team Justice League Dark.
Boston was the only son of Gary and Barbara Brand, and grew up in a family of physical abuse. When his parents didn't fight each other, they took out their anger on Boston. When he was sixteen, he had so much anger in him that he lashed out against his parents and left.
He joined the circus, starting as a roustabout and eventually becoming an aerialist. However, he could not leave his past behind him, and frequently succumbed to alcohol and violent tendencies. It all changed when during one show, an assassin named Hook shot him during his trapeze performance.
When he was killed, Boston was placed in between life and death by Rama Kushna. She told him that he needed to atone for his past transgressions and egocentrism. As punishment, he was to better the life of others. He did, until an angel called Son of Morning questioned Rama Kushna's motives. After they exposed her for something darker, Deadman escaped her control.
Justice League Dark
- No Physical Body: Deadman is a ghost; his real body has long been dead. However, he doesn't mind being intangible because it gives him more power to be a hero than being stuck on the ground. 
- Yellow Power Ring: (formerly)
- Deadman (Boston Brand) was created by Arnold Drake and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in Strange Adventures #205. However, in the rebooted Prime Earth continuity his first appearance as part of the DC Universe is in Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang's DC Universe Presents series.
- Deadman is currently dating Tatsinda. 
- 114 Appearances of Boston Brand (Prime Earth)
- 65 Images featuring Boston Brand (Prime Earth)
- 11 Quotations by or about Boston Brand (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Boston Brand (Prime Earth)
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.
|Sinestro Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Sinestro Corps, chosen by Sinestro to counteract the Green Lantern Corps and spread terror throughout their sector with a Power Ring.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Sinestro Corps members category."