The Bracelets of Submission are a pair of indestructible metal cuffs worn by all Amazons of Paradise Island. They serve as a reminder of the years when the Amazons were subjugated under the rule of the treacherous Hercules. Years after gaining their independence however, the Amazons continued to wear the bracelets as a symbol of their past oppression. Wonder Woman continued to wear a pair of these metal cuffs, but the design and model of the cuffs has changed over the years. She often used the bracelets to deflect gunfire, blasts, small missiles and other projectile weaponry.
The Bracelets of Submission are given to every Amazon at age 15, time in which they pledge themselves to Aphrodite. Used primarily as a defense artifact, the Bracelets of Submission were also used on the trial game known as Bullets and Bracelets, in which an Amazon would deflect bullets using only their bracelets. The bracelets however had a serious disadvantage, as they would remove the wearer's strength if any man would weld chains on them.
The Bracelets worn by all Amazons of Themyscira are a pair of magical artefacts used for protection in combat. Created from the metal of Athena's Olympian Aegis shield to serve as protective cuffs, they also double as potent restraining bolts and limit an Amazon's true power, enabling a massive strength boost whenever they are relinquished. Diana had her own pair of bands modified by the smithing god Hephaestus; she can call up any number of weaponry crafted in his forge at will.
- The bracelets are always made of metal. In some continuities, they are steel, in others they are Amazonium, or silver, or Feminum.
- In some parallel worlds, but not others, the bracelets are the key to Wonder Woman's main weakness.
- The history behind the Bracelets of Submission was originally developed by Wonder Woman creator, William Moulton Marston. The inspiration for their creation came from the bracelets that his lover Olive Byrne – upon whom much of Wonder Woman's original character was based – wore frequently.
- Appearances of Bracelets of Submission
- Item Gallery: Bracelets of Submission
- Images featuring Bracelets of Submission