"The Thousand-and-One Dooms of Mr. Twister": The townsfolk of Hatton Corners is in the midst of a dispute. The adults of the neighborhood feel that the teen populace are too wild and unruly, whereas the teens feel that the adults are too "un-hip" and incapable of relating to teenage problems
Appearing in "The Thousand-and-One Dooms of Mr. Twister"
- Mister Twister (First appearance)
- Eddie Corliss (Single appearance)
- Jacob Stikk (Flashback only)
- Marcia (Single appearance)
- Mayor Corliss (Single appearance)
- Officer Ridley (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Thousand-and-One Dooms of Mr. Twister"
The townsfolk of Hatton Corners is in the midst of a dispute. The adults of the neighborhood feel that the teen populace are too wild and unruly, whereas the teens feel that the adults are too "un-hip" and incapable of relating to teenage problems. Ironically, the teen youth movement is led by Eddie Corliss, son of the town's mayor. Eddie organizes a club house meeting and invites three famous teen super-heroes to come to Hatton Corners to support their cause. They invite Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin.
Before the heroes arrive however, a crazed super-villain known as Mister Twister blusters through town riding atop a giant cyclone. Mister Twister attempts to extort the town elders for what he believes are reparations owed to his family going back several generations (which consists of feathers from an extinct breed of pigeon). When the town elders are unable to pay Mister Twister, he uses the elemental powers of his magic staff to abduct the town's teenagers and bring them to nearby Goat Island.
Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin arrive in town, but when they visit the teen clubhouse, they find that it has been razed to the ground. Mayor Corliss tells them about Mister Twister and they agree to do what they can to rescue the missing youths. They find the kids on Goat Island where they are forced to erect a giant twister-shaped tower made from heavy stone blocks.
While Mister Twister is away, Kid Flash uses his super-speed to finish construction on the tower so that the teenagers do not have to carry the burden alone. Aqualad discovers that the underside of Goat Island is perched upon a fragile pinnacle of rock, so he summons a giant whale to push the island off of its natural mooring and move it out to sea.
When Mister Twister returns, he cannot find the island. Infuriated, he returns to Hatton Corners to wreak his revenge against the town. He uses his powers to rain fire down from the sky and creates a massive flood that threatens to consume the town. Kid Flash spins like a cyclone in an effort to control the flames while Aqualad calls upon the aid of a narwhal to drill a drainage ditch, which diverts the flood into natural underground tributaries. Robin confronts Mister Twister directly and ensnares the villain's magic staff with his Batrope. Without the power of his staff, Mister Twister is powerless. The teens of Hatton Corners are reunited with their parents and everyone agrees that they will do their best to mend their differences.
- This issue is indexed in The Official Teen Titans Index #1 by Independent Comics Group (ICG).
- This issue is reprinted in DC 100-Page Super Spectacular DC-21, Silver Age Teen Titans Archives, Volume 1, Greatest Team-Up Stories Ever Told, Brave and the Bold Team-Up Archives, Volume 1, Showcase Presents: Teen Titans Vol. 1 and Teen Titans: A Celebration of 50 Years.
- This issue is divided into three chapters:
- Part I: The Thousand-and-One Dooms of Mr. Twister
- Part II: Town Without Teen-Agers
- Part III: The Town That Would Not Die
- The events from this issue are recapped in Secret Origins (Volume 2) Annual #3.
- This issue is classically considered the first appearance of the Teen Titans, even though they do not address themselves by that name at this time. They appear next as the Teen Titans in Brave and the Bold #60 where they are joined by their first female team member Wonder Girl. Although Aqualad, Kid Flash and Robin all appear next in separate issues, their next chronological appearance as the Teen Titans takes place in flashback in Teen Titans #53 prior to their first official "team" appearance in Brave and the Bold #60.
- Aqualad appeared last in Aquaman #15. He chronologically appears next in Teen Titans: Year One #1. His next actual appearance is in Aquaman #16.
- Kid Flash appeared last in Flash #144. He chronologically appears next in Teen Titans: Year One #1. His next actual appearance is in flashback in Teen Titans #53.
- Robin appeared last in Justice League of America #27. He chronologically appears next in Teen Titans: Year One #1. His next actual appearance is in World's Finest Comics #141.
- Mister Twister appears next as the Gargoyle in Teen Titans #14. His identity as the Gargoyle is not revealed until the flashback story from Secret Origins (Volume 2) Annual #3.
- Aquaman, Batman and Flash make cameo appearances only in this issue.
- Sheldon Moldoff inks all of the Robin heads in this issue only.
- During Robin's time away from Batman, Batman undergoes major design alterations to his costume, equipment, vehicles and the Batcave.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Brave and the Bold Vol 1 54 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Brave and the Bold series
- Images from Brave and the Bold Vol 1 54
- Teen Titans (Volume 1)
- Teen Titans (Volume 2)
- Teen Titans (Volume 3)
- New Teen Titans (Volume 1)
- New Teen Titans (Volume 2)
Links and References
- Brave and the Bold at Wikipedia
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1) series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1) series index at Mike's Amazing World of DC Comics