"Mansion of the Misbegotten!": When Batman goes to visit his old friend Roger Birnam, who is dying, he promises to watch over Birnam's wife Clorinda and his son Enoch. After the funeral, when a man who posed as Birnam's doctor and as a religious articles salesman turn
Appearing in "Mansion of the Misbegotten!"
- Clorinda Birnham (Only appearance; dies)
- Enoch Birnham (Only appearance; dies)
- Walt Higgins (Single appearance)
- Roger Birnham (Only appearance; dies)
- Mac (Gotham Coroner) (First appearance)
- Roger Jr. (Single appearance)
- Birnam Towers
- Gotham City
Synopsis for "Mansion of the Misbegotten!"
When Batman goes to visit his old friend Roger Birnam, who is dying, he promises to watch over Birnam's wife Clorinda and his son Enoch. After the funeral, when a man who posed as Birnam's doctor and as a religious articles salesman turns out at the Gotham morgue, victim of a ritual murder, Batman rushes to Birnam Towers to check on Birnam's family.
Batman soon finds himself caught in a Satanic cult ritual, with the little Enoch as the leader. Batman is easily captured, but he is saved by the arrival of the Phantom Stranger. Together, Batman and Phantom Stranger try to find a way to stop the cultists, but Batman is captured and offered as a sacrifice to Enoch, the warlock leader of the cult. During the ritual, Lucifer appears and takes Batman away, claiming his soul as the ultimate prize. However, it was all a charade staged by the Phantom Stranger to save Batman and once again, they start working to bring down the evil worshippers. Taking Enoch and bringing him to a psychiatric ward, Batman is shocked to find the boy has no knowledge of the occult, and deduces that the Birnams had two children not just one.
Returning to the Birnam residence, Batman is forced to battle Clorinda and the evil Enoch with the help of the Phantom Stranger. However the appearance of Roger's ghost scares Clorinda so badly she falls over the railing of a stairwell to her death along with her evil son, Enoch. Afterwards, the Phantom Stranger moves away to find the next mystery and Batman makes a promise to take care of Roger's good son, Roger, Jr.
Appearing in "The Killer Shadow!"
- Myra Hunter (Single appearance)
- John Neville (Single appearance)
- John Neville's Estate
- John Neville's Estate
Synopsis for "The Killer Shadow!"
This story is reprinted from Phantom Stranger #2.
The Phantom Stranger becomes involved in a scheme by a corrupt man whose main goal is to murder a woman using tricks with her shadow to drive her insane.
Appearing in "One Challenger Must Die"
- Volcano Men (Only appearance; dies)
- Challengers' Plane
Synopsis for "One Challenger Must Die"
This story is reprinted from Challengers of the Unknown #32.
The Volcano Men are appearing on an island, multiplying by splitting, growing large by merging. The Challengers can’t agree on an attack. Ace wants to use LOX, Professor Haley CO2 foam. The team splits to pursue their own methods, but both sides fear “one Challenger might die”. Separate attacks fail, and the boys stop Rocky from making a suicidal rush. Finally they work together. Ace Morgan’s LOX cools the Professor, who wields super-CO2. Smothered, the Volcano Man crumbles to ash. The Challengers agree to work together from now on.
- This book was first published on August 10, 1971.
- "Mansion of the Misbegotten!" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Phantom Stranger Vol. 2 and Showcase Presents: The Brave and the Bold Batman Team-Ups Vol. 2.
- This is the first solo Batman story illustrated by the legendary artist Jim Aparo, who worked on the character until the late 90s.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Brave and the Bold Vol 1 98 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Brave and the Bold series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.