At a jousting tournament, the evil Sir Oswald Bane killed Brian's father Sir Edwin, claiming it to be an accident. Before he died, Edwin, a feudal lord, instructed his son to continue his rule and look after the people. Sir Oswald heard this and set Brian under the knightly training of Sir Grot, a friend of Edwin's. Brian excelled at his lessons, but fearing that Sir Oswald would kill him if the boy became too good, Grot publicly humiliated him as an oaf.
While looking for one of Sir Oswald's prized hawks in the Forest Perilous, Brian found a trunk with a suit of silver armor, a sword, a red helmet and shield. When he first wore the armor, he discovered that it was a perfect fit. He then heard travelers being threatened by Sir Oswald's men-at-arms, and came to their aid, defeating the soldiers without uttering a word. When asked his name, he stayed silent to prevent the soldiers from identifying him to Sir Oswald. Hence, he became known as "the Silent Knight".
He kept the armor hidden in the Forest Perilous, and hid his secret even from Sir Grot. As well, Lady Celia who loved the Silent Knight never did suspect that he was the seemingly dull, Brian Kent.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- Though never clearly indicated, it has been suggested that Jonathan Kent is a direct descendant of Sir Brian Kent, making Superman his relative through adoption.
- The Silent Knight has been reincarnated many times over the centuries. His most recent incarnation is that of Carter Hall, aka, Hawkman.
- 41 Appearances of Brian Kent (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Brian Kent (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Brian Kent (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Brian Kent (New Earth)