In the 1840s, Brian Savage was stolen from his parents by Kiowa Indians, who named him Ke-Woh-No Tay ("He Who Is Less Than Human"). Later he was given the name Scalphunter by non-native Americans he encountered.
After many adventures, Brian discovered his non-Kiowa roots. He became more and more a gunfighter as he grew older, but never lost touch with the Kiowa traditions that were part of him.
In his 40s, Savage put down roots and became the sheriff of Opal City. He maintained order for more than a decade until he married and retired to a farm in Turk County.
Savage returned in 1899, at a violent time in the city's history. Later that year, he hunted down and killed the murderous "Tuesday Club" before he was shot in the back and died.
In the 20th century, it was later learned that Matt O'Dare was the reincarnation of Brian Savage, who began to adopt the dead sheriff's mannerisms and speech patterns, as if Savage had returned to Opal.
- Firearms: He is adept at using rifle and handgun.
- Equestrianism: He is an expert horseman
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic)
- Archery: He is adept adept at using bow and arrow
- Throwing: Scalphunter is an expert at throwing weapons. His preferred weapon is a Native American tamahaac.
- Bow and arrow, tomahawk, rifle and handgun
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Jonah Hex (Volume 1)
- Starman (Volume 2)
- Weird Western Tales (Volume 1)
- Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol 1 20 (Scalphunter biography page)
- 73 Appearances of Brian Savage (New Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Brian Savage (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Brian Savage (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Brian Savage (New Earth)
- Scalphunter at dccomics.com
- Scalphunter at Wikipedia.org
- Scalphunter article at Wikipedia
- Scalphunter biography page at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."