Brute and his associate Glob are nightmares created by the dream lord Morpheus. Following Morpheus' disappearance, Brute and Glob found themselves at a loose end and created a realm of their own, the 'Dream Stream', in the unconscious mind of a young boy named Jed, drawing a scientist named Garrett Sanford into the dream and making him believe (apparently for their own amusement) he was a superhero called the Sandman and that they were his servants. When Sanford died, they replaced him as the Sandman with the disembodied spirit of Hector Hall, formerly the Silver Scarab. Eventually, Morpheus returned to punish his wayward servants and Brute was returned to the Dreaming.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- Although Brute was created prior to the formation of DC Comics' Vertigo imprint, he has been retroactively placed into the Vertigo family of characters.
- 20 Appearances of Brute of the Dreaming (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Brute of the Dreaming (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Brute of the Dreaming (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Brute of the Dreaming (New Earth)
This character exists under the Vertigo Imprint which is intended for Mature Readers. Vertigo titles although they may cross over into regular DC continuity.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Vertigo Characters."