Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Cernunnos is the god of hunting and fertility in the Celtic pantheon. The British people stopped believing in the pantheon and their people the Faerie in place of another god. A faction of the Faerie called the Fomorians created a paradise plane where the gods and their servants could continue existing called Tir Na Nóg. Tir Na Nóg was ran by the Celtic Gods and was made up by two factions of the Faerie people- the Fomorians led by King Elatha and the Dé Danann being lead by King McCool. As time went on the gateways between the Multiverse and Tir Na Nóg began to close shutting of the Faerie people from existence. The two Faerie factions fought for centuries with only unstable peace in-between the brutal conflict.
Cernunnos and his brethren attempted to cease the conflict multiple times with no success, fearing that the end of the Faerie people was near Cernunnos was sent to Earth 0 to seek out Diana of Themyscira who they believed would sympathize due Themyscira being in a similar situation to Tir Na Nóg. Diana agreed to help negotiate a lasting peace between the Faerie people but when the pair returned to the kingdom they discovered Elatha had been poisoned on a visit to Dé Danann castle with only a child on the scene of the crime. Wonder Woman used hero Lasso of Truth on the boy and discovered that he didn't kill the King. However many in the realm were unconvinced so held a summit to decide their next move. After conflict nearly broke out at the summit Wonder Woman stepped in and told the factions that she would get a detective on the job in the form of Bruce Wayne. After retrieving Batman from Earth 0 Cernunnos sent the pair to investigate the murder. Upon their return Batman informed the God that he suspected that the murder was part of a scheme as nobody truly disliked Elatha. He also informed the god that the Irish Quarter in Gotham was being haunted, Cernunnos told the Knight that it was most likely the work of Phookas who were spirits able to cross the plane of the kingdom.
- Celtic God Physiology
- Cosmic Awareness: Cernunnos knows the workings of the cosmos as a God.
- Divine Grace: Cernunnos can hold a neutral stand in any mortal argument.
- Immortality: Cernunnos is at least millennia old.
- Teleportation: Cernunnos can teleport anywhere in the world at will.
- Charisma: Cernunnos and his brethren were able to gain a huge following in Celtic Britain for a time.
- Hunting: He is the God of the Hunt and as such is masterful at his craft.
- Leadership: Cernunnos and his brethren have looked after the kingdom for millennia.
- Lack of Worshippers: Due to the Gods receiving their powers from worshippers they will lose their power if no one worships them.
- This character is an adaptation of Cernunnos, a character in traditional stories. These include, but may not be limited to religious texts, myth, and/or folk lore. More information on the original can be found at Wikipedia.org.
- Cernunnos was created by Gardner Fox and Mike Sekowsky, first appearing in Justice League of America #49. However, in the Prime Earth continuity Cernunnos first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in The Brave and the Bold: Batman and Wonder Woman #1 by Liam Sharp.
- 4 Appearances of Cernunnos (Prime Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Cernunnos (Prime Earth)
- Quotations by or about Cernunnos (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Cernunnos (Prime Earth)