In order to follow the Naming Conventions, it has been suggested that this page be moved to Clement Carp (New Earth). Discuss this and other proposed moves. Do not make any changes yourself; it will be moved by an admin and/or bot.
Click here for a complete list of articles to be moved.
Clement Carp, a.k.a the Squid, was a spy turned gangster who operated in Gotham City. His alias was given to him for the ability of his criminal organization to reach multiple parts of the city, all of them controlled by him, the criminal mastermind.
The Squid stole confidential documents while in Gotham, which in turn drew the attention of the local vigilante, Batman. For this reason, Squid and his gang escaped from the city and went to Baja California, where they settle until they could make it to the Mexican frontier. When Batman was contacted by the FBI to capture Squid, he travelled to California and although Squid shot Batman, the vigilante managed to capture the crooks and turned them to the authorities.
After the downfall of Rupert Thorne and Tony Falco, the Squid was poised to fill the power vacuum in Gotham's underworld left by their fall. The Squid was able to capture a giant squid which he named "Gertrude", which he kept in a huge aquarium in his hideout, usually feeding his rivals to it. In an attempt to gain control of the Gotham underworld, he and his crew succeeded in capturing Batman and nearly feeding him to Gertude. Batman was able to barely escape from the tank with his life. After witnessing Batman's escape, Squid started planning his next move against Batman, but before he could even organize his ideas, he was killed by Killer Croc, who shot Squid from a distance to remove him from his path to become Gotham's leading criminal.
Years later, in another gangland power vacuum in Gotham City after the Infinite Crisis, the Squid tried again to take over the Gotham mobs, but was intimidated by Bruno Mannheim into working for Intergang instead.
- The real name of the Squid has been the subject of controversy. In his first appearance, FBI agents informed Batman that his real name was Clement Carp. However, during his autopsy, Commissioner Gordon mentioned that his name was Lawrence Loman. This is most likely a mistake on part of the creative teams, but it may have been a plot point that was never developed.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 6 Appearances of Clement Carp (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Clement Carp (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Clement Carp (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Clement Carp (Earth-One)