The legendary explorer and adventurer know as Congo Bill was content with living in his home, Africa. He has sworn to do whatever he needs to protect it. When Bill is called to the deathbed of his old friend Chief Kawolo and offered a magic ring. Bill was skeptical especially when he was told by the chief to rub the ring and it would transfer his mind into that of the legendary Golden Gorilla. He accepted the ring to humor his friend's dying wish. With that the medicine man ended up saving Bill's life; several weeks later an earth quake trapped Bill in a deep cave cut off from all life. After trying his entire book of tricks to escape his decided to hopelessly rub the ring his friend had given him. Instantly, despite his doubts he found himself inside the body of the Golden Gorilla, totally in control of a powerful being.
Racing to the cave-in, he used his massive strength to clear the blocked entrance and wondering what had become of his body without him being "home". He realized that when he switched his consciousness that of the Gorilla was swapped into himself and vise versa on reentry.
Currently with the mind of the Golden Gorilla now gone along with Congo Bill's human body, Bill now lives life in the immortal body of the legendary Golden Gorilla as Congorilla. He has recently joined a separate Justice League group in the Cry for Justice comics, which is led by Green Lantern Hal Jordan. He is hunting, along with the new Starman, for the person or persons responsible for killing his pack of gorillas he was in charge of protecting. All he has to go on is a scent which he is tracking from continent to continent.
The DC Universe heavily changed its continuity into the DCnU following the events of Flashpoint in 2011. This was part of an effort to make storylines more accessible to newer readers, beginning with the New 52. This new timeline combines elements from the DCU, Vertigo Universe and Wildstorm Universe while drastically changing the origins and histories of characters.
Congorilla is considered as a possible new member for the Justice League International by United Nations head of intelligence Andre Briggs. They decide he is not right as a candidate for the team at that time, and he is not invited to join.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Superhuman Stamina: Has been able to swim for 5 miles straight.
Regeneration: Able to heal incredibly fast from even the most serious wounds (ex. blunt trauma and energy blasts.)
Enhanced Senses: His senses seem to be more advanced than regular Gorillas.
- Super Smell: (In Justice League: Cry for Justice comics) he is seen following a scent trail from continent to continent. In addition, he can sense when a person is lying to him by what kind of scent their body gives off in the middle of lying.
Hunting: Congo Bill is an expert in the fields of hunting, tracking and survival.
Multi-lingual: Able to speak English, German, and Japanese. Possibly more.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 83 Appearances of Congorilla (New Earth)
- 15 Images featuring Congorilla (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about Congorilla (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Congorilla (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.