- I tell myself to stay out of sight and return later with back-up. It's the only sensible thing to do. It's the only sensible thing to do. But then my mind's eye flashes on those bodies, hanging from hooks like sides of beef.
- -- Batman
Appearing in "Book One: Discovery"
- James Gordon
- Joe Bester (Deceased)
- President of the United States of America and numerous aides
- Batman's "friend"
Synopsis for "Book One: Discovery"
Six months ago, in Gotham City, Apokoliptian troops arrive via a Boom Tube in a plan to take over the Earth. Superman and Lightray appear and stave off the attack, causing the Apokoliptians to retreat through their Boom Tube. Superman and Lightray leave, not noticing the lone Apokoliptian in the shadows of the alley. Two weeks ago, Metron lands on a planet in the Alpha Centauri system. Metron seems to be in a coma, or a trance. Darkseid appears via a Boom Tube and collects Metron and data from his chair. Using the data that Metron has collected, Darkseid determines that the universe faces a great menace. He realizes that he must ask for help from heroes.
In Gotham, Batman tracks an unknown killer through the city's sewer system. The caped crusader finds himself face to face with the Apokoliptian soldier who was left behind after the incursion. Batman shoots the soldier with his own gun and goes to inform the authorities. When he returns with a clean up crew from Gotham City Police Department, the body is gone.
Yesterday, in Washington, D.C., Lonar, of the New Gods, appears in the White House and asks to open relations with Earth. He also asks to see specific ambassadors from Earth's superhero community. These ambassadors are Superman, Batman, J'onn J'onzz, Starfire, John Stewart and Jason Blood. Lonar activates a Boom Tube and transports himself and the ambassadors to New Genesis. Once there, they learn that Highfather has allied with Darkseid to combat a menace that threatens several universes. An ancient race discovered something called an Anti-Life Equation. They built an Anti-Life Cannon to use against their enemies. When the cannon was fired it destroyed the planet it was fired from and then destroyed nearly an entire universe. Metron has inadvertently released four aspects of anti-life. Each of the aspects is headed to one of four planets, each in a different star system. From these points, the anti-life aspects can destroy the entire Milky Way galaxy. Darkseid breaks the heroes into teams and each team goes to one of the four points in the galaxy. Before leaving, Batman makes a call and tells the person on the other end to keep an eye on Darkseid because Batman doesn't trust him. After the others leave, Darkseid reveals to Jason Blood that he has captured the entity known as Etrigan.
- This issue is reprinted in the Cosmic Odyssey trade paperback.
- 48 page, squarebound prestige format.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Cosmic Odyssey Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Cosmic Odyssey series
- Forever People (Volume 1)
- Forever People (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 1)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 2)
- Mister Miracle (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 1)
- New Gods (Volume 2)
- New Gods (Volume 3)
- New Gods (Volume 4)
- Orion (Volume 1)
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World (Volume 1)
- Death of the New Gods
- Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus
Links and References
- Cosmic Odyssey article at Wikipedia
- Cosmic Odyssey series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Cosmic Odyssey series index at the Unofficial Guide to the DC Universe
- Cosmic Odyssey series index at the Grand Comics Database