- He doesn't trust us? We shouldn't trust him! What if he's just getting us out of sight so he and his friends can come back and mindwipe us?
Appearing in "Let's Make a Deal"
- Jimmy Olsen
- Mary Marvel
- Pied Piper
- Challengers from Beyond
Synopsis for "Let's Make a Deal"
The Flash interrogates the Pied Piper and the Trickster. The former Rogues tell him that Deathstroke planted detonator chips inside their neck, and that he is planning on staging a large-scale attack at Green Arrow and Black Canary's wedding. The Flash uses his super-speed to vibrate the detonator chips out of Piper's and Trickster's necks and disposes of them.
In Sorcerer's World, Queen Belthera grabs Donna Troy and pulls her through a portal. The Atom manages to free himself, and Jason Todd and he argue over how they are going to rescue Donna. Suddenly, Kyle Rayner – once more a Green Lantern, arrives to lend assistance. He frees Bob the Monitor from Belthera's control, and they manage to retrieve Donna.
In China, a sorcerer accosts Mary Marvel. Klarion the Witch Boy helps her out, and together they manage to repel the old man's efforts. Klarion requests compensation for helping to save Mary's life, though Mary is confident that she could have handled the assailant just fine on her own. She asks Klarion what it is he desires as payment, to which Klarion responds, "the tiniest, barest, most insignificant fraction... of your power".
In Metropolis, Jimmy Olsen leaves the Steelworks only to find himself being tailed by several dark sedans. The cars chase him for several city blocks, but when they corner him, Jimmy realizes that one of the drivers is Mickey Cannon – the director of Project Cadmus. He tells Jimmy that he wants to help him discover how his powers work.
The Flash meanwhile, takes the Piper and Trickster to a hotel room near where Black Canary's bachelorette party is being held. He keeps them bound together and tells them that Zatanna will make certain that no super-villains can find them. After Flash leaves, Trickster and Piper argue, and Trickster attempts to leave the room. They soon discover that their path is blocked by Zatanna's pet mummy Hassan.
Back in the Palmerverse, the heroes continue their journey throughout the various realities in search of Ray Palmer. Suddenly, a giant hand looms from out of nowhere and plucks the Atom away from the scene. Bob the Monitor reassures everyone that the Atom is fine, and that his role in this journey has come to an end. Kyle disagrees with the Monitor's attitude, and Jason begins to develop an immediate dislike for the Green Lantern.
Appearing in "The Origin of the Riddler"
- Riddler's question mark cane
Synopsis for "The Origin of the Riddler"
Edward Nashton always loved puzzles, but also liked to cheat to achieve his ends. Nashton lived his life by tipping the odds in his favor, and eventually located to Gotham City where he adopted the criminal code name the Riddler. As the Riddler, he came into conflict with Gotham's guardians Batman and Robin on several occasions. After an encounter with a villain known as Hush, Nashton learned that the Batman was actually Bruce Wayne. A subsequent head injury later however, robbed him of this memory, and he has since reformed from a life of crime and now works as a private investigator.
- The events from this issue take place after the Sinestro Corps War.
- Hassan the mummy appeared last in Countdown #37.
- The Trickster makes reference to Zatanna "mindwiping" people. She once used her magic to alter the memories and personality of Doctor Light as revealed in the Identity Crisis limited series.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Countdown Vol 1 33 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Countdown series
- Images from Countdown Vol 1 33
- Countdown: Arena
- Countdown: The Search for Ray Palmer
- Countdown to Adventure
- Countdown to Mystery
Links and References
- Countdown article at Wikipedia
- Countdown series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Countdown series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Countdown article at Newsarama
- Countdown Counseling at Silver Bullet