- I ran away. Disappeared into subatomic space. I thought maybe if I became small enough... I could escape the pain.
- -- Ray Palmer
Appearing in "Safe House"
- Barry Allen (Earth-51)
- Jean Loring (Earth-51)
- Ralph Dibny (Earth-51)
- Sue Dibny (Earth-51)
- Zatanna Zatara (Earth-51) (Flashback and main story)
- Eclipso (Jean Loring) (Flashback and main story)
- Gorilla Grodd (Earth-51) (Flashback only)
- Joker (Earth-51) (Flashback only)
- Starro (Earth-51) (Flashback only)
- Lex Luthor (Earth-51) (Flashback only)
- Batman (Earth-43) (Flashback only)
- Harleen Quinzel (Earth-51)
- Iris West (Earth-51)
- Justice League of America (Earth-51) (Flashback only)
- Raymond Palmer (Earth-51) (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "Safe House"
Ray Palmer awakens after having a nightmare about his insane wife Jean Loring. He tries to settle into the new life that he has now, a life on an alternate reality known as Earth-51. On this world, Jean Loring is not insane and did not kill Sue Dibny in a bout of violent jealousy. Although he has found happiness, he is still troubled by everything that he has experienced in the past two years. The following day, he visits this world's Zatanna, who is a psychiatrist at the Arkham Institute for Emotional Disorders. Zatanna gives some advice, and Ray gives her a holiday gift - a magic rabbit charm. That evening, he attends a Christmas party with all of his closest friends - all of whom are retired super-heroes and analogs of people he knew in the original Justice League.
Suddenly, the Challengers from Beyond arrive on Earth-51 and appear at Ray's home. They tell him that they need his help to avert the coming of a great disaster. Ray tells them how he discovered this perfect Earth after traversing the Nanoverse. He also tells them about how this world's Ray Palmer died and he took his place. Without warning, Bob the Monitor betrays his fellow Challengers and prepares to murder Ray Palmer.
Back in the New Earth reality, Eclipso locates Mary Marvel. Believing her to be weakened, she attempts to usurp her power, but Mary is playing possum and fights back against Eclipso. She electrically charges two large pieces of metal debris and slams them against Eclipso. The attack doesn't even slow Eclipso down, and blasts Mary but proves unsuccessful in stopping her. Eclipso then attempts to escape from an enraged Mary Marvel.
Appearing in "The Origin of Doctor Light"
Synopsis for "The Origin of Doctor Light"
Arthur Light was a physicist who used his knowledge of light to become a costumed criminal and foe of the Justice League of America. Several years ago, Light broke into the Justice League satellite and assaulted the team's close confidante Sue Dibny. As a result, a secret cabal of League members led by Zatanna, altered Light's personality, making him a more incompetent, less dangerous foe. Recently however, Doctor Light's true memories and personality have re-emerged.
- This issue shipped on December 26th, 2007.
- Includes ' editorial #93 by Jann Jones. Jones wishes the members of the DC Nation happy holidays.
- Keith Giffen is credited as story consultant in this issue.
- The Earth-51 Sue Dibny recognizes Donna Troy, indicating that an analog of Donna exists on this world as well.
- In "The Origin of Doctor Light", Wonder Woman's costume is mis-colored black and yellow.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Countdown to Final Crisis Vol 1 18 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Countdown series
- Images from Countdown to Final Crisis Vol 1 18
- Countdown: Arena
- Countdown: The Search for Ray Palmer
- Countdown to Adventure
- Countdown to Mystery
- Countdown Presents: Lord Havok and the Extremists
Links and References
- Countdown article at Wikipedia
- Countdown series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Countdown series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Countdown article at Newsarama
- Countdown Counseling at Silver Bullet