In Crime Bible: Five Lessons of Blood, the first page of each issue is an excerpt from the Crime Bible. Around the border of each page (starting in the upper left corner) are a lengthy series of numbers in the following format: #:#:#:#. Each number combination represents a word that, once deciphered, forms a bonus excerpt from the Crime Bible, one which explains Brother Flay’s motivation throughout the series and addresses the fate of Question.
The key to solving the code is:
- The first number represents the Book of Blood and is numbered 1 through 5.
- The second number represents the Chapter within the Book.
- The third number represents the Verse within the Chapter.
- The fourth number represents the Word within the Verse.
Thus the first code (1:8:21:22) is First Book, Chapter 8, Verse 21, 22nd word = from. When translated, they reveal the following prophecy:
From the words of Lilith, 6:6-13.
These are the words of Lilith, who divined that which was, that which would be, who made seen all things hidden and who did counsel the First, all bow before him, and was equal in all things to him, and who laid waste the lands of the righteous.
(6) Behold, the vile person will speak villainy, and His heart will work iniquity, to practise the four, to make empty the soul of the hungry, and cause the drink of the thirsty to fail, and for this shall he be most praised.
(7) In devotion shall come one with fists like unto stone, who strips flesh from bone, and who leadeth them of His kind that also serve the First, bow before him, and following in all things the high madame of His teachings.
(8) Tremble, for there shall come a time when the Faithless will cast out the prophet from the city of the foolish and wise; and then shall the high madame be lost to us, and the followers of the First, bow before him, will lack for guidance, and be as lost as he in His wanderings.
(9) Then shall he who strips flesh from bone go forth from the abandoned shore to seek another, to prepare the way for that darkness to come, and so shall pass on the knowing of the four to the Faithless, and her countenance will be as a scoured bone, devoid of feature and empty, and in it all questions will be writ.
(10) And the Faithless will come to know each lesson in turn, and thus come to know the ways and words of Cain,
bow before him, and be thus changed by them, and the devoted of the kind will look upon her, and see her for a sign of the darkness ascending, for she will turn the fourth lesson upon he who strips flesh from bone, and lay him low.
(11) And then shall her vision become clear, and she who was Faithless will come to know her slavery, and see now her freedom, and the devoted of the abandoned shore shall fall on knee before her, and gaze upon her countenance themselves, and see their most-praised villainy;
(12) Then shall they call out to her, and call her face-less, and offer service of the First, bow before him, at her command, and thus shall she take a new faith, in service of Cain, and bow before him.
(13) So shall the face-less lead them, and raise up the devoted, and herald the coming of the last high madame upon the world; and the gods once new, now old stained see the sign, and know the time of their reckoning is come.
Links and References