Donning a cheap suit and a dark hood, Mr. Crossart began his criminal career as the Tarantula while staying as a guest at the mansion of wealthy socialite Vivian Dale, whom he took captive. Meanwhile Wesley Dodds, the mystery man known as the Sandman, learned of the crime, and after investigating, he guessed the Tarantula's identity, and that he had hidden Vivian in her own house. Discovering a hidden door leading underground from her second-floor room, Sandman found a number of secret passageways between the walls in the very large house. The Sandman rescued Vivian and left the unconscious Crossart to be found by the police. Crossart's age, occupation, ambitions, and first name have not been published and are not known.
The Tarantula was human and did not possess powers of any kind.
A black hood and cape to disguise his features.
- This version of Tarantula, including all history and corresponding appearances, was erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- The character of the Tarantula was created by Gardner Fox and "Larry Dean", and appeared in only one story of the Sandman series in Adventure Comics Vol 1. Forty years later, the character was very briefly revived, for a few panels in All-Star Squadron Annual #3, his second and final appearance.
- In post-Crisis continuity, this version of Tarantula was not seen, but the code name was instead used by Roger Goldman, who, working alongside his mother, became "the Tarantula" as part of a terrorist scheme against his father, in a dispute over an inheritance.
- Adventure Comics #40
- All-Star Squadron Annual #3
- Golden Age Sandman Archives, Volume 1
- Justice League of America (Volume 1) #94
- 3 Appearances of Crossart (Earth-Two)
- 1 Images featuring Crossart (Earth-Two)
- 1 Quotations by or about Crossart (Earth-Two)
- Character Gallery: Crossart (Earth-Two)
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.