Cythonna was among the first gods of Krypton at the beginning of time. Unlike some of her brethren, Cythonna was an evil entity that hailed from the furthest regions of frozen blackness, bearing a hatred for all that was warm and full of light. She, alone of all the gods, could not bear any children but birthed only monsters made of ice and rime. Thus, she brought not only cold but fear, despair, and death.
At the time of her arrival to Krypton, Cythonna spoke to the sun god Rao and yearned to making him her mate. However, Rao saw through her heart and learned that she knew nothing of love and that she only sought to mate with him in order to birth monsters that would corrupt the world of the light and thus rejected her. This infuriated Cythonna and incited a war between her and Rao, known as the Wars of Ice and Fire. While Cythonna was strong, the powers of the gods of dawn were new. They never fought in anger before. Ultimately, Cythonna was defeated and the Kryptonian gods passed judgement upon her; although the gods were incapable of killing her, it was Rao who decided to exile Cythonna by banishing her into the frozen void beyond the borders of existence. There she remained in the great darkness of the void where she gathered the souls of the unforgiven dead and vowed that if the power of the gods ever weakened, then she would return to get vengeance and finish the war.
Though the war had ended, the scars from the Wars of Ice and Fire remained on Krypton's surface where they never truly healed. The Kryptonians grew to become an emotionless people due to Cythonna's bitterness. Years following Krypton's destruction, Cythonna soon broke free of her prison and believed that she had won the war upon examining what remained of Krypton. However, she soon sensed a trace of life-force tied directly to Rao himself. Angered by this, Cythonna decided to find and eliminate the last remnant of Rao. Her mission led her to Earth, where she appeared at the Daily Planet and killing a woman, attracting the attention of Superman, whom was the individual that she was looking for. Cythonna fought Superman, but was surprised by the Man of Steel's powers. After managing to best Superman, she proclaimed him as her mate and told him to meet him over Earth. Cythonna's appearance also attracted the attention of Lex Luthor, who offered an alliance with her but only to be rejected.
Superman later investigated Cythonna's claims and acknowledge the threat she would pose to Earth. On the way to meet her, Superman was given a Kryptonite-based weapon by Luthor to help him beat the goddess. When Superman confronted Cythonna, the goddess kissed Superman but immediately realized that he is merely a mortal and not a god. Cythonna dropped all pretense to have Superman for herself and resume her goal of killing the last Kryptonian. Cythonna had the wining advantage over Superman, but only a combination of events led to Cythonna's defeat, which Superman lured her to Earth's sun where he was rejuvenated while the sun itself, being the universal opposite of Cythonna, weakened her to closely matching her strength to Superman. Cythonna, however, was still strong enough by revealing her true monstrous form and physically assaulted Superman, until Superman throw a grenade of Kryptonite at Cythonna. Weakened from her exposure to the substance, Cythonna was then dragged by the sun's gravity and become entrapped inside the sun's core.
- Superhuman Strength: Cythonna has physical strength so tremendous that she incapacitated Superman with a "casual" backhand slap. She can break through any material, evidenced by Superman that she was the most powerful he ever faced. Even when her strength was weakened by Rao, and the sun; with Superman at his full potential, she still easily gained the upper hand.
- Superhuman Speed: After her battle with Superman, she was described as being untouched. She even followed Superman to the sun in a very short amount of time.
- Invulnerability: It is seemingly impossible for Cythonna to be harmed by any physical forces or mental. Having endured the sun while weakened by Kryptonite, wuth Rao and Superman fighting her at the same time with ease.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Cythonna countered Superman's barrage by nearly knocking him out with a "casual" backhand slap.
- Superhuman Agility
- 1 Appearances of Cythonna (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Cythonna (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Cythonna (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Cythonna (New Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."