Hector himself was already dead, and Lyta and Hector's ghost lived together in the dreams of a child; this was until Dream went looking for Brute and Glob, where he destroyed the barrier they created around the child's mind cutting him off from the real dreaming, and banishing them both to an excruciating fate. Once this happened the ghost of Hector faded away, probably into Death's realm, as he should have done when he first died. Dream proceeded to reveal that someday he would return to take Daniel, rightfully his because Daniel had spent the majority of his gestation in the Dreaming, and that there was nothing Lyta could do to prevent it.
Lyta and her child were returned to the waking world, and Lyta tried to pick up the pieces in her life. Before Dream goes off to face Lucifer, he pays another visit to the two, and he names the child Daniel, a name to which Lyta takes a liking.
As Daniel grows, he starts to enter the Dreaming while asleep, and is regaled with stories by Cain, Abel and Eve, while Matthew watches, and returns to Earth clutching one of Matthew's feathers. This doesn't sit well with Lyta, who feels that Dream has not only robbed her of her husband but now also her son. Her grief and torment are undefinable as she slips into insanity.
Lyta, takes her grievances to the Furies, ultimately bringing about Dream's downfall, while sealing her son's place in the Dreaming for all eternity as he assumes the role of Dream.
Daniel is different and yet similar to his predecessor. While he still speaks in the same way, and is still 'Dream of the Endless', he is inexperienced in certain matters and relies on Matthew the raven for advice
- Personification of Dreams: One of the seven Endless, inconceivably powerful beings, Dream is both lord and personification of all dreams and stories, all that is not in reality (which, in turn, Dream may define by his existence). He controls sleep, dreams, nightmares, and insomnia.
- Shape-shifting: Daniel could change his appearance and clothing.
- Illusion Casting: His illusions don't just seem real, they are real, as dreams and reality are far closer to one another than most realize. This includes nightmares sent as punishment. Dream can control the dreams of anyone he chooses, and has, in fact constructed them all.
- Dreaming Reality Warping: Inside the Dreaming, he can easily alter reality at whim, creating objects and entities to obey his every command. The Dreams landscape and weather can change simply but his current mood. Dream can create anything from dreamstuff, and is omnipotent in his own realm. He also controls all the dreams within it. Anyone who doesn't show the proper respect is also subject to his power.
- Teleportation: He can travel instantly anywhere in the mortal realm that people dream, and, so long as he shows proper respect, he can easily enter and transit most magical realms too.
- Immortality: Dream was ageless and virtually immortal.
- Oneiromancy: He could conjure dreams, stories, and ideas into the minds of others. Thus inspiring them or altering their perceptions while they are awake.
- Magic: Nigh-Omnipotent mastery of magic.
- Ancient Rules: Despite his great powers Dream, like the rest of the Endless, was bound to a complex set of rules and customs.
- One which requires him not to spill the blood of family or he is no longer protected as the personification of Dreams from other Personifications
- Another is that he cannot fall in love with a mortal or the mortal's downfall is assured.
- Eagles Stone
- Sand of Sleep
- Helm of Dream
- Daniel was named in accordance with Neil Gaiman's decision to give the Endless names or titles beginning with the letter 'D', and after the Biblical prophet who interpreted dreams.
- 12 Appearances of Daniel Hall (New Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Daniel Hall (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Daniel Hall (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Daniel Hall (New Earth)