Daphne is the niece of Alfred Pennyworth, Bruce Wayne's butler. Like her uncle in his younger days, she is in the acting profession, and was used by the Old Avon Players (who threatened her father Wilfred to ensure her cooperation) to gain the trust of the residents of Wayne Manor (and the affections of Dick Grayson) in order to obtain an original copy of Romeo & Juliet which was in Wayne's possession.
Later, Daphne got a summer job as a caretaker of a couple of kids for Clifton Heathrow at Gothos Mansion, but the events taking place made her suspicious. She wrote a letter to her uncle, Alfred, who in turn informed Daphne's situation to Bruce. After learning that the kids she was supposed to look after were in fact dwarves, Daphne was forced to wear ancient clothes and locked in one of the upper rooms of the Mansion. Batman arrived in time to rescue her, but he fell for a trap and Daphne was taken to Gothos' Chapel, where Heathrow and his coven planned to sacrifice her and summon the demon Ballk. Fortunately, Batman escaped from the trap and rescued Daphne, ending the ritual. As Heathrow died, Batman told Daphne to go to the manor, before they left the cursed place forever.
- This version of Daphne Pennyworth, including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985-86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Daphne was born on October 31, precisely at midnight.
- 4 Appearances of Daphne Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Daphne Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Daphne Pennyworth (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Daphne Pennyworth (Earth-One)