|Relatives||Kalibak (son), Orion (son), Mister Miracle (adoptive son), Big Barda (adoptive daughter-in-law)|
|Affiliation||Brainiac; formerly New Gods of Apokolips|
|Base Of Operations||Apokolips|
|Occupation||Ruler of the Apokoliptian Empire|
|Universe||DCAU, Earth 12|
|Place of Birth||Apokolips|
|Creators||Jack Kirby, Mark Evanier|
|"Tools of the Trade"|
Darkseid is the evil, undisputed ruler of the planet Apokolips. He attempted to take over Earth, at first via Intergang and its boss, Bruno Mannheim. This led to an eventual invasion of Metropolis, which was only stopped when Orion showed up with the army of New Genesis. Orion declared Earth would be under New Genesis' protection, barring him from invading the planet again. However Darkseid used his Omega beams to kill Dan Turpin before leaving Earth. He nurtured a grudge against Superman, as well as would use him for his second attack on Earth. After brainwashing Superman so he believed Darkseid adopted him, he set Superman against Earth. Though the invasion plan failed, he did manage to undermine Superman's status with the people. Superman returned to Apokolips and defeated Darkseid. The Man of Steel was shocked when the people of Apokolips did not free themselves and Darkseid told Superman on Apokolips he was God.
Darkseid tried a new approach: he formed a devil's alliance with Brainiac. Brainiac would "attack" Apokolips and Darkseid would come to Superman and the Justice League for aid. However once Superman was captured, Darkseid took over Brainiac, planning to use him to uncover the Anti-Life Equation. The plan ended badly. After Darkseid betrayed Brainiac, the tyrant tried to escaped but was corned by Superman. The two fiercely brawled and the battle ended with both Darkseid and Brainiac being blown up along with the the robot's asteroid base.
When Lex Luthor and the Legion of Doom tried to resurrect Brainiac, they accidentally resurrected Darkseid merged with Brainiac. This more powerful Darkseid first restored order to Apokolips, which was in civil war, as well as then launched an invasion of Earth, planning to attack New Genesis next. The Justice League and surviving members of the Legion teamed up to fight the invasion. Superman originally beat him physically in Metropolis, but he trapped Superman and tried to kill him with a Kryptonite knife. Luthor gained the Anti-Life Equation and bartered with it. As both men admired the beauty of the equation, they were absorbed into the Source Wall.
- Unique Physiology: Darkseid's overbearing size, gravely voice, and granite-like skin give him a fierce countenance.
- Accelerated Healing: Injuring Darkseid is an almost impossible feat, but he can get hurt; well when he does, depending on the damage, Darkseid can heal/recover from his wounds at an accelerated rate.
- Omega Beams: Originally, Darkseid projected spurts or pulses of flame beams from his eyes. Later, upon his emergence with Brainiac, he shoots more of laser-like beams, of which prove devastating and chaotic. The properties of the Omega Beams change according to Darkseid's needs. Sometimes they take the form of concussive bolts of energy. Other times, they may manifest as lethal disintegration rays.
- Immortality: It is believed that Darkseid is an ancient being, possibly several millennia old. His body does not suffer the rigors of disease or the normal cellular mitosis that comes with age.
- Invulnerability: Darkseid is well-nigh invulnerable and can withstand nearly any physical threat. This is not to suggest that Darkseid cannot be injured however. Sufficient physical force, such as a full-powered punch from Superman, will weaken and even injure Darkseid, though he has been known to recover from such damage extremely quickly.
- Superhuman Stamina: Darkseid can operate with maximum efficiency for an undetermined period of time without rest or the need for sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Darkseid is one of the strongest beings in the galaxy, and his strength is far greater than Superman or Mongul.
- This version of the character is exclusive to the continuity of the DC Animated Universe an adaptation of Darkseid. The original character was created by Jack Kirby and first appeared in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #134.
- Darkseid was voiced by Michael Ironside for the various animated series and by Kevin Michael Richardson for the video game Superman: Shadow of Apokolips.
- Darkseid is also known as Lord Darkseid.
- 28 Appearances of Darkseid (DCAU)
- 3 Images featuring Darkseid (DCAU)
- 6 Quotations by or about Darkseid (DCAU)
- Character Gallery: Darkseid (DCAU)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Jack Kirby's Fourth World |
This character or group of characters are related to Jack Kirby's Fourth World, either the original concept and group of titles by Jack Kirby, or any of their subsequent adaptations by other creators. This template will categorize articles that include it into the Fourth World Characters category.
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."
This character is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice League, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Justice League Villains."