- -- Deathstorm src
During the Blackest Night event, the first Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond came "back to life" as a member of the Black Lantern Corps and went on a tirade alongside his fellow Black Lanterns. But then, after discovering the existence of Jason Rusch and Gehenna Hewitt, he turned his full attention to the lovers and severed the connection between Gehenna and Jason. After he grabbed Gehenna by the throat and began to choke her, Jason tried to pull Black Lantern Firestorm away from her only to end up fusing with him.
With Jason now trapped inside the menacing Black Lantern, nothing is able to stop him from acquiring the chemical formula for table salt from Jason's mind.
Fueled by Nekron's desire to destroy all life and his own desire to torture the couple and bring their love to an end, Black Lantern Firestorm used the information unwillingly given to him to turn Gehenna's entire body into the aforementioned compound while forcing Jason to watch in horror as his beloved dies screaming in absolute pain and subsequently has her heart torn out.
At one point, Jason manages to gain a measure of control over the Black Lantern and warns The Flash of Nekron's return, but is then forced out of "the drivers seat" by Black Lantern Firestorm and isn't seen again until The Flash (who was wielding a Blue Lantern Power Ring at the time) and Saint Bro'dee Walker try using the Blue Light of Hope to sever Jason from his girlfriend's murderer.
Later, after Nekron's ultimate defeat, The Entity brought twelve heroes and villains, including Ronnie, back to life. However, Jason, who believed that it really was Ronnie who killed Gehenna, attacked him only to be restrained and escorted away from Ronnie.
With Ronnie Raymond's life restored, he attempts to go back to living his normal life, but is often plagued with visions and memories of his time as a Black Lantern.
Despite him trying to tell Jason he was not in control of his actions, Jason still blames, and hates Ronnie for the death of his girlfriend.
Ronnie's visions get more intense as an incarnation of Gehenna enters his room and begins to strangle him. As a friend of Ronnie's comes in, she explodes leaving a layer of salt through out his room.
Due to reasons out of their control, Ronnie and Jason must fuse to become Firestorm, but often the two hear a voice, who they think is the other mocking them. Both hearing the voice at the same time, Ronnie and Jason realize they're not alone, there is a third personality in the Firestorm Matrix.
Going to Professor Stein with their concerns, the Professor tells Firestorm of the true nature of their matrix and it's true power. He tells them that their Matrix is essentially a second big bang, and if they were to cause a disturbance in it, the entire universe would be destroyed. Stein tells them if that were to happen all that would be left would be "only the two of you".
With that, the third voice chimes in saying "And me. Righteous!" Black hands begin to emerge from Firestorm's chest, separating Ronnie and Jason, and all that remains is the newly emerged Deathstorm, the first Black Lantern to return. Deathstorm then introduces himself to Professor Stein, who begs Deathstorm not to kill Ronnie and Jason.
A Proper Introduction
Deathstorm tells Stein to relax and explains that his plans were to put them through so much emotional torture that they would come to hate each other and, in doing so, re-create the Big Bang event and destroy the Universe.
After introducing himself properly, he also explained that Jason and Ronnie created him and that, as death personified, he was completely unstoppable.
Deathstorm goes on to explain the "true" secret of the Universe, that the concepts of good and evil do not exist and that there was only dead and alive. Then, as Ronnie was waking up, Deathstorm forced Professor Stein to fuse with him and then remarked to Ronnie about how terrible it is to let a good mind go to waste.
- Firestorm Matrix
- Density Control: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix have complete control over molecules and as such can change the density of solids, liquids and gases to as light as hydrogen or as heavy as uranium.
- Eidetic Memory: Also called "Matrix Memory Recall", elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can access the memories of each and every single being that has ever been fused into the Matrix. New elements are allowed to automatically download surface information.
- Energy Absorption: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can absorb massive amounts of energy as well as being able to absorb many different types of energy. Most commonly the elements and energies associate with life and the human body are absorbed. Also solar energy is a possible source of energy that can work as a "emergency battery" for elements out of power.
- Energy Projection: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can project massive amounts of different amount of energies. Naturally occurring energy projected by Firestorm are "Nuclear Blasts" however elements can project a number of different energies at will.
- Enhanced Vision: Also called "Quark Vision", elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix have access to enhanced vision due to their nuclear nature. Different visions experienced are X-Ray Vision, Microscopic Vision, and Thermal Vision.
- Flight: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can soar through the sky at amazing speeds. At first it may be difficult to achieve flight through Firestorm's nuclear nature though most master it quickly. Firestorms have been clocked at over 600mph theoretically they can fly much faster.
- Molecular Reconstruction Elements tied together into the Firestorm Matrix to create Firestorm have one main ability which all other stem from. Their "atomic fusion" or "nuclear nature" stem from nuclear physics tempering with the user's mixture of psychic energies as well as physical properties. Users accessing Firestorm or the Firestorm Matrix are called "elements" as they individually make up the Matrix. Firestorms can break down and reapply subatomic particles as well as break up the molecular structure of elements and rearrange them. To do this the element must know the exact elemental make-up of the object or human. Most Firestorms cannot affect living tissue but it is possible though very unstable.
- Phasing: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can phase their bodies through solid objects. Although they have direct control over an object's density they can use this ability on themselves and only themselves and affect living tissue to pass through objects.
- Psychic Link: Sometimes called "floating heads", elements that embody the Firestorm Matrix appear mostly as floating heads to represent their psychic link to the other human being or other element in the Matrix. They can be represented however they'd like but the Matrix defaults them to a disembodied head. Even disconnected an element may have latent psychic traces of the previous user.
- Regeneration: Though a majorly untested power as well as being as much a reaction from shape-shifting and a direct result of molecular reconstruction; nonetheless, Firestorm elements can regenerate large sections of misplaced or destroyed physical properties.
- Self-Sustenance: Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can survive in space unaided, never need to eat to sustain life and never truly need another element to be processed or broken down by their bodies. Although users may feel these needs and would enjoy producing such bodily functions it is unnecessary.
- Superhuman Durability Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix receive an increased amount of physical resistance and durability. They can survive bullets and stab wounds as well as the physical damage of exploding constantly.
- Superhuman Strength Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix receive an increased amount of physical strength and muscle mass. Certain elements can tap into this energy and become large hulking entities however such strength can be quite destructive to the host if not used sparingly.
- Transformation Elements tied to the Firestorm Matrix can transform from their "normal" human forms into Firestorm, the Nuclear Man. However other entities may take whatever form they want; such as, Black Lantern Firestorm and Fury. Furthermore, elements can transform their body or body parts at will with concentration with an unknown level of restraint.
- Black Lantern Ring (formerly)
- Black Lantern Firestorm was created by Nekron during the Blackest Night. When most of the Black Lantern Rings were destroyed and Nekron was effectively defeated the strongest of the Black Lanterns lived on without the use of their rings. Deathstorm himself fused with the Firestorm Matrix to become his own entity.
- 9 Appearances of Deathstorm (New Earth)
- 5 Images featuring Deathstorm (New Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Deathstorm (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Deathstorm (New Earth)
|Firestorm Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of Firestorm and any of his supporting cast or members of the Firestorm Matrix. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Firestorm Villains category."
|Black Lantern Corps member|
This character is or was a member of the Black Lantern Corps. Those who have died may wield the Black Power Ring, symbolizing their lack of both life and emotion.
This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Black Lantern Corps members category."