"Delbert Billings" was a painter who used optical illusions and hypnotic weapons to commit crimes. He worked as a forger of pop art before he decided to put his talents to use as a supervillain. He created the identity of "Spellbinder," designed an arsenal of hypnotic weapons for himself, and assembled a team of henchmen. He ran into the Batman during his first robbery, but hypnotized him into believing he was involved in an entirely different situation, and his gang made their getaway. This ploy worked twice, but on Spellbinder's third robbery Batman was able to overcome the spell, subdue Billings and his gang and send the man to jail.
After getting out of prison, Delbert also had a chance to face off against Superman. Using a miniature turntable he was able to create special sonic blasts, which made targets more susceptible to his hypnotic suggestions. The addition of a shock absorbing chin-guard to his helmet protected him from being knocked out by Superman. He was finally defeated when his own sonic blasts where echoed back on him (rendering him unconscious).
Spellbinder later joined a loosely knit conglomerate of crime organized by the Monarch of Menace. Batman put an end to his crime spree and later impersonated Spellbinder to infiltrate the group and capture the Monarch.
For a time, Spellbinder was on the run from the law with his new girlfriend, Fay Moffit. During the events of "Underworld Unleashed," he was confronted by Lord Neron, and offered immense power in exchange for his soul, but he declined. His girlfriend Fay, however, thought it sounded like a great idea, shot Spellbinder in the head, and accepted the offer for herself. After that she became his successor, calling herself "Lady Spellbinder.
Spellbinder uses a number of optical devices of his own invention that can disorient others.
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 8 Appearances of Delbert Billings (New Earth)
- 2 Images featuring Delbert Billings (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Delbert Billings (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Delbert Billings (New Earth)
|Batman Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization, is or was primarily an enemy of the Batman, or the Batman Family as a whole. This template will categorize articles that include it into the category "Batman Villains."