"Menace of the Planet Master": Batman and Robin fight a criminal called the Planet-Master, whose crime-costumes are modeled around the motif of the nine planets of the solar system. Using these special desi
Appearing in "Menace of the Planet Master"
- Planet Master's Suits
Synopsis for "Menace of the Planet Master"
Batman and Robin fight a criminal called the Planet-Master, whose crime-costumes are modeled around the motif of the nine planets of the solar system. Using these special designed costumes for crimes, the Planet Master manages to outmatch the Dynamic Duo on every occasion until they find a clue that points towards a scientist called Irvin Norbet. Once in Norbet's place, the Dynamic Duo learn that the man is a mild mannered professional and that he had discovered a secret closet in his laboratory, known only to his assistant Edward Burke. The closet was filled with all of the Planet Master's costumes and the heroes come to the conlusion that Burke might be the criminal.
However, when they confront Burke, the Planet Master strikes again and they have to leave Burke, who has now learned of the costumes in the lab closet. Burke sneaks into the laboratory and witness how Irving enters the place as the Planet Master and his personality changes after he takes off the costume. When Batman and Robin arrive, they realize the truth and Burke takes the chance to attack the heroes with one of the costumes. Batman and Robin manage to knock Burke out and then Irving explains that he was investigating a mysterious space rock, which contained toxic fumes that caused him to develop a second personality as the Planet Master. After the whole confusion has been cleared, Irving is no longer the Planet Master and Burke is dealt with.
Appearing in "The Alien Bodyguard"
- Rocky Dawson (Single appearance)
- Unnamed Doctor (Single appearance)
- Officer Wade (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Alien Bodyguard"
Diane Meade, while trying to call in an alarm on gang boss Rocky Dawson, slips, falls, hits her head, and gets amnesia. The doctor who treats Diane has her sent back to her patrol, in hopes that her memory will be jogged by familiar sights. Jones becomes J'onn J'onzz, secretly looking after Diane and saving her from attempts on her life. Eventually, J'onzz captures all of Rocky Dawson's gang and Dawson himself, while Diane endures what seems to her a terminally boring day. When she returns to headquarters, her memory returns. John Jones brings Dawson and his men in at that moment, and she barks at him for interfering.
Appearing in "The Mystery of the Demon Island"
- A crook disguised as a demon (Single appearance)
- Omo (Single appearance)
- A Small Island
Synopsis for "The Mystery of the Demon Island"
After saving a fisherman and returning him to his home island, Aquaman and Aqualad soon learn that the people there live in fear of a "sea demon" because they stopped paying tribute to it by giving it their valuables. Suspicious, the hero and his ward attack the sea demon when it appears again, and with the help of their undersea friends easily defeat him. Bringing the creature to the surface, Aquaman reveals that it's really a crook wearing a costume to cash in on the island's superstitious people. Aquaman informs them that he was tipped off that the creature was a fake when its trident touched its sea horse (really a sea-cycle in disguise) and created sparks because it was made of metal.
- "The Alien Bodyguard" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 1.
- "The Mystery of Demon Island!" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Aquaman Vol. 1.
- "Menace of the Planet Master" was adapted into the Jiro Kuwata Bat-Manga story "The Crimes of Planet King".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 296 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 296
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Aquaman Recommended Reading
Links and References
- No external links.