"Murder in Movieland": Batman and Robin try to nab a disgruntled actor before he can murder three movie studio heads while reprising some of his greatest screen roles. The actor almost succeeds in killing his victims, but they are all s
Appearing in "Murder in Movieland"
- Roger Carlyle (Single appearance)
- Henry Austin (Only appearance; dies)
- Paul Bates (Only appearance; dies)
- Harmon (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "Murder in Movieland"
Batman and Robin try to nab a disgruntled actor before he can murder three movie studio heads while reprising some of his greatest screen roles. The actor almost succeeds in killing his victims, but they are all saved by Batman. However, some evidence comes to light that might prove that the actor is in fact innocent and that somebody is trying to frame him. Batman investigates further and gathering enough clues, he deduces the place where the criminal would strike next. Batman once again prevents the man from murdering and finally learns that he is in fact the actor and that the previously uncovered evidence was placed by the man, in order to throw away suspicion. Batman and Robin arrest the criminal and he is taken to prison.
Appearing in "J'onn J'onzz vs John Jones"
- Unnamed Criminal from Saturn (Single appearance)
- Saturnian Police (Single appearance)
- Watkins (police officer) (Single appearance)
- Arne (old man) (Single appearance)
- Arne's unnamed wife (Single appearance)
- Alien Shuttle
Synopsis for "J'onn J'onzz vs John Jones"
A fugitive criminal from Saturn lands on Earth, stuns John Jones with a force-blast, and assumes his identity with chameleon powers after learning he is a lawman on Earth. He then throws Jones in a river. The detective survives, but sustains a case of amnesia. Meanwhile, the phony Jones soon meets with Diane Meade, Captain Harding, two Saturnian policemen in pursuit of him, and Zook, who realizes from the impostor’s electrical aura that he is not the real Jones. Zook tracks down the real John Jones and helps restore his memory. The phony Jones lures the two policemen from Saturn into a trap, exposing them to oil, which strips a Saturnian’s powers away and can even kill him. Jones becomes the Martian Manhunter, confronts his impostor, who returns to his Saturnian identity, and battles him. But the Martian’s and Saturnian’s powers are too similar for either to prevail, until J’onzz tears a crankcase loose from Diane’s car and squirts oil on his Saturnian foe, defeating him. Then he rescues the Saturnian cops, who take charge of the criminal and return him to their world.
- This book was first published on February 28, 1963.
- "J'onn J'onzz vs. John Jones" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 2.
- The Batman story has elements that had already been used in previous issues.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 314 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- No external links.