"The Strange Lives of the Cat-Man": The Cat-Man returns from another apparent death, and Batman and Robin learn that the orange portions of his costume are made from a magic cloth that endows the wearer with
Appearing in "The Strange Lives of the Cat-Man"
- John Talbot (Single appearance)
Synopsis for "The Strange Lives of the Cat-Man"
The Cat-Man returns from another apparent death, and Batman and Robin learn that the orange portions of his costume are made from a magic cloth that endows the wearer with nine lives. The feline felon thinks that he can use up six more lives, but Batwoman uses the Cat-Woman costume to put herself in peril and steal several more lives from him. Without more chances to risk his life available, Cat-Man is unable to escape from the Dynamic Duo and he is finally arrested.
Appearing in "The Hero of 500 B.C."
- Nemesus (Single appearance)
- Unnamed Crooks (Single appearance)
- Professor Haggard (Single appearance)
- Dion (Single appearance)
- King Delos (Single appearance)
- Lydia (Single appearance)
- Prof. Haggards Laboratory
- Ancient Greece
Synopsis for "The Hero of 500 B.C."
J'onn J'onzz is accidentally thrown back in time by a time-machine activated when he is battling crooks out to take it away from its inventor, Prof. Haggard. He finds himself in Greece in the year 500 B.C. There he rescues Dion, a Greek who is endangered by a magic cloud while performing a certain task, one of three he must do in order to win the hand of Lydia, daughter of King Delos. J'onzz learns that the cloud was sent by the sorcerer Nemesus, who will gain the throne unless Lydia weds and has a child. The Manhunter helps Dion perform the two remaining tasks, despite Nemesus's interference. The sorcerer only has enough power for one last task, and that is to bewitch Delos into refusing to give Lydia in marriage and ordering Dion's execution. But the Martian eavesdrops on Nemesus, learns of the plan, flies Delos to a remote spot so that he cannot obey Nemesus's orders, and takes on his identity with his chameleon powers. As Delos, Manhunter gives Dion and Lydia permission to wed. Nemesus attacks “Delos”, but Zook has been sent back in time by Haggard and appears in time to freeze him. The Manhunter returns Delos to his people and returns with Zook to the 20th Century A.D. There the two of them learn from Prof. Haggard that the time machine has burned out and will take years to be rebuilt.
- This book was first published on January 30, 1964.
- "The Hero of 500 B.C." is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter Vol 2.
- "The Strange Lives of the Cat-Man" was adapted into the Jiro Kuwata Bat-Manga story "The Mysterious Catman".
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 325 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.