"Ghost of the Killer Skies!": When murder breaks out on a World War I movie set devoted to the story of Rittmeister Hans Von Hammer, the Enemy Ace, Batman investigates and finds a modern-day “Von Hammer” devoted to keeping the original'
- I believe in "The Hammer of Hell"-- and the things it can say to audiences about the nature-- and folly-- of war!
- -- Bruce Wayne
Appearing in "Ghost of the Killer Skies!"
- Heinrich Franz (Only appearance; dies)
- Martinez (Single appearance)
- Enemy Ace (In a photograph only)
- Mr. Anson (Only appearance; dies)
- Gavin (Single appearance)
- Nieuport 17
- Fokker Dr.I
Synopsis for "Ghost of the Killer Skies!"
When murder breaks out on a World War I movie set devoted to the story of Rittmeister Hans Von Hammer, the Enemy Ace, Batman investigates and finds a modern-day “Von Hammer” devoted to keeping the original's memory untarnished in his own eyes.
The movie, which had been funded by Bruce Wayne, is forced to cancel after their lead actor and director are killed. Batman soon learns that someone has hired goons to sabotage the film and that same persom murdered the three time Academy Award winner, director Anson. After following the clues left by the thugs, Batman confronts Heinrich Franz, the man behind the attacks and a descendant of Von Hammer.
In order to settle the dispute, Franz challenges Batman to a duel in the sky and Batman has no option but to agree. During the aereal combat, Batman's plane is damaged beyond repair and he takes the chance of jumping across the sky to Franz's plane, taking the fight directly to the criminal. In the struggle, Franz's scarf gets tangled with the rotor blades and he is thrown out of the plane as he plunges to a gruesome death. After the case is closed, Batman admits that he had some sort of help during the fligt and the spirit of Von Hammer shines upon the Dark Knight.
Appearing in "Midnight Doom-Boy"
- Veda (First appearance)
- Billy Warlock (Only appearance; dies)
- Infra-Red (First appearance)
- A Cane that emits Cyanide Gas
Synopsis for "Midnight Doom-Boy"
When a police surveillance film showing Jason Bard murdering X-rated film director Billy Warlock, the criminologist is arrested. Although the evidence shows that Bard killed Warlock, Barbara Gordon believes that Bard is innocent of the crime and begins launching her own investigation as Batgirl.
Reviewing the film she sees that in the footage of Bard leaving the scene, "Bard" is putting weight on his bad leg. Realizing the footage has been doctored with, she goes to Warlock's studio (Where the reels where originally taken) to find that the footage shows Veda, the woman who Bard claimed drugged and framed him for the murder was on the scene. But before Batgirl can do anything she is attacked by Veda herself, and during the combat a studio light is broken and the fumes inside knock Batgirl out. When some comes too she finds herself bound to a chair and Veda preparing a plaster mix to pour on Batgirl.
- "Ghost of the Killer Skies" is reprinted in Limited Collectors' Edition #C-25, Greatest Batman Stories Ever Told, and Showcase Presents: Enemy Ace Vol. 1.
- "Midnight Doom-Boy" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Batgirl Vol. 1.
- "Ghost of the Killer Skies!" is dedicated as a tribute to Joe Kubert and Robert Kanigher.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 404 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Batman: Gotham Knights (Volume 1)
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat (Volume 1)
- Batman: Streets of Gotham (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Brave and the Bold (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
Links and References
- No external links.