"Marriage: Impossible": When Batman learns about the pending marriage between Kirk Langstrom and Francine Lee, he races down to the cathedral to stop the wedding. Interrupting the ceremony, he pulls a mask
- Our love is everlasting! Because now... we're two of a kind!
- -- Francine Lee
Appearing in "Marriage: Impossible"
- Curator Wilkins
Synopsis for "Marriage: Impossible"
When Batman learns about the pending marriage between Kirk Langstrom and Francine Lee, he races down to the cathedral to stop the wedding. Interrupting the ceremony, he pulls a mask off Langstrom's head, revealing the face of the Man-Bat. Man-Bat flies off through the window leaving guests horrified and Francine in tears. Batman grabs her, demanding to understand how she could marry Kirk after everything that has happened.
He recalls how he tried to cure Kirk after their last battle against one another and even brought Francine to the Batcave, hoping she could convince Kirk to accept the antidote. This tactic failed and Kirk had escaped the cave the same way he got in. Francine then tells Batman how she pledged to show how committed she was to Kirk by taking the bat gland extract herself. She pulls off her veil and a mask revealing that she is now a She-Bat.
Francine flies off into the rafters and Batman chases after her. The Man-Bat peers down from above and tries to crush Batman with a chandelier. Batman evades the oncoming missile, and sprints up the cathedral staircase. Batman rings the cathedral bell, which causes the Man-Bats intense pain. Taking advantage of the situation, Batman knocks them both out and administers the antidote, turning them back to normal.
Appearing in "One of Our Landmarks Is Missing!"
- Mal (Final appearance)
- Slavin (Single appearance)
- Gotham Police
- Shelley Simms (Final appearance)
Synopsis for "One of Our Landmarks Is Missing!"
Batgirl had stumbled upon the fact that the leader of the group Peaceful Protest has begun resorting to bombings to get the groups message across, this revelation however has gotten her trapped in a room where if she to step off a circle of floor in the middle of the room the entire place will explode.
While Batgirl is utilizing her cape and a boot to try and turn off the switch that activates the explosives, Mal, Shelley and the Peaceful Protest group pay a visit to a man named Slavin, who had hired Mal to bomb the building in question as it was protection as a heritage building prevented Salvin from building a new high rise apartment building.
Batgirl arrives and with the help of Shelly, captures everybody involved, however Shelly is shot attempting to stop Mal from escaping, however she is taken to a hospital where is expected to recover and testify against Salvin.
- This book was first published on November 25, 1970.
- "Marriage: Impossible" is reprinted in Man-Bat vs. Batman #1, Batman: From the 30's to the 70's and partially reprinted in the Batman: Robin Meets Man-Bat book and record set.
- This is the third appearance of the Man-Bat. He and Francine Lee both appeared last in Detective Comics #402. They appear next in Detective Comics #416.
- "One of Our Landmarks Is Missing!" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Batgirl Vol. 1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 407 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 407
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Detective Comics article at Wikipedia
- Detective Comics series index at DCU Guide
- Detective Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Detective Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database Project