"A Vow From the Grave!": Batman in on the trail of an escaped killer on the outskirts of Gotham and he manages to corner the criminal in a rocky area, but he is attacked by a big man, who allows the killer to escape. Batman is forced to confront the big man and he man
Appearing in "A Vow From the Grave!"
- Eddie "Flippy" Deacon (First appearance)
- Kano Wiggins (Single appearance)
- Goliath (Single appearance) (Former Side-Show Strong-Man)
- Maud (Single appearance) (Former Side-Show Performer)
- Charley Bones (Only appearance; dies) (Former Side-Show Performer)
- Outkirts of Gotham
Synopsis for "A Vow From the Grave!"
Batman in on the trail of an escaped killer on the outskirts of Gotham and he manages to corner the criminal in a rocky area, but he is attacked by a big man, who allows the killer to escape. Batman is forced to confront the big man and he manages to knock the juggernaut unconscious. At that moment, Batman meets three more people, all of which are physically different. Their leader explains that they used to be circus freaks and that they retired to live in seclusion. They also inform Batman that the big man, whose name is Goliath, didn't intend to attack him, but despite their explanations, the killer is on the loose and Batman continues his seach.
Moments later, Batman stumbles upon an abandoned town hall, which is being used as the freaks' home. When the fat lady screams in despair, Batman investigates and learns that the thin man had been hanged a few moments prior. After this, Batman notices that the escaped killer is just outside the place and he captures the criminal, taking him inside. Unfortunately, Batman has deduced that the killer didn't murder the thin man, but that the crime was committed by the Goliath, seeking to eliminate his competitor for the fat lady's affections.
Batman follows Goliath to the belltower, where he threatens to drop the seal-boy unless Batman jumps down first. Batman complies, tricking Goliath, who in turn tosses "Flippy" and he is rescued by Batman, who was still hanging with help from his Batrope. Afterwards, Batman confronts Goliath and the killer, both of whom started to work together against a common enemy, and Batman gets help from the fat lady and Flippy. Like this, Batman manages to capture two killers and as dawn breaks, he takes them back to meet their justice.
Appearing in "Battle of the Three M's"
- Serpy (First appearance)
- Rigby (First appearance)
- Milt (First appearance)
- Mamie Acheson (First appearance) (World-Famous Fashion Model)
- Jules Thayer (First appearance) (Mamie's Assistant)
Synopsis for "Battle of the Three M's"
When a popular fashion model Mamie Acheson is injured and has to select one of three models (Maxi, Midi or Midi) to act as her replacement while her leg heals, it causes quite a stir in the fashion world. Batgirl soon finds herself involved after a suspicious visit from a member of a fashion company to her library seeking to ger certain books.
Learning that they were last taken out by J. Thayer, the man being Mamie Acheson's fashions, a curious Barbara decides to take a curious peek as Batgirl. However arriving at the fashion studio, she finds the man there attempting to take pictures of the fashion from a skylight. Batgirl fights him off and follows him back another garment manufacturer, where it turns out that they are indebted to a crook named Serpy who threatens to kill them if they don't square up an I.O.U.
Batgirl tries to intervene, however is easily knocked out and soon finds herself strapped into a fabric cutter, with Serpy getting read to slice her in two.
- "A Vow from the Grave!" is reprinted in Limited Collectors' Edition #C-59, Saga of Ra's al Ghul #4, The Official Batman Annual 1986 (UK), Batman in the Seventies, and Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams Vol 2.
- "Battle of the Three 'M's" is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Batgirl Vol. 1.
- "A Vow from the Grave!" was loosely adapted on the 1994 episode of Batman: The Animated Series, "Sideshow".
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Detective Comics Vol 1 410 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Detective Comics series
- Images from Detective Comics Vol 1 410
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- Detective Comics article at Wikipedia
- Detective Comics series index at DCU Guide
- Detective Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Detective Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database Project